Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Block this FF trade?

Team A (7-3) gets Steven Jackson
Team B (2-8) gets Julius Jones and Bobby Engram

I'm the comissioner and have veto power over all trades.

Is this trade so one sided that you would reject it? I of course have a conflict of interest since I am competing with Team A for a playoff spot.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:26 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Re: Block this FF trade?

Don't do it. You shouldn't have 100% power to veto trades in the first place for this exact reason.

It's bad, but not enough to invoke your powers. And it could work out fine for Team B.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:01 PM

Don't block it. If you do everyone will cry foul.

The trade might be one-sided (not sure depending on the rest of each teams rosters) and that sucks for you. But, unless it clear that the two players are colluding to split any possible winnings you should never veto a trade.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:09 PM

Hijack?

Just something to consider for next year.....

Almost every fanstasy football league has something like this pop up once or twice every year. Our league took steps to eliminate this kind of thing from happening by doing the following:

We are a 12 team league with two divisions. The winner of each division gets a playoff spot and a bye the first week of the playoffs. To keep people interested the entire season, the next two teams with the best record makes the playoffs as wild cards. Then of the remaining teams, the next two teams with the most points scored during the season make the playoffs as two additional wild cards regarless of their records. This seems to keep everyone "trying" and "motivated" for the entire season.

We also decided to increase the dollar amount each team puts up to enter the league. We used this extra amoney to reward the team with the highest point total each week. That way, even if your team is out of it, there is still something to play for.

By doing these things, we have not had any "trade" type issues for several years.

Back to your situation, I would let it go. There is no need to veto, especially if you are partially interested.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:13 PM

Next year have a group voting system for vetoes. Engram is garbage; Jones may not play this week, and when he does come back he's splitting carries. Ask Team B owner point blank his reasoning for this trade (I assume you know each other). Then veto it. That's a horses**t trade.

EDIT: Is this a keeper league?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:14 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

I don't see how these methods curb the issue that much. I mean there have to be 2-3 teams that know they aren't making it at a given point. I think the best solution is to have an earlier trade deadline. Or make sure you only have good owners that know better as members.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:20 PM

Well, in our league, if you tried to determine who would make the playoffs if they ended today, every team in the league is still within 50 points of making it as a wild card with 3 weeks to go in our regular season, even the team with only 2 wins. Plus, there is still the weekly prize to shoot for.

It just seems like since we put these into place, we don't have rediculaous trade offers or people quitting early anymore. That was our goal when we came up with these additions. It's also possible maybe we just have a good group of owners in our league but they are still things to think about or consider talking about.

Edited to add that our trade deadline is week 10. Right now we can no longer make trades.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:47 PM

Please give an update when you decide on this.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:05 PM

It's not a keeper league.

We don't vote because we had that last year, nobody ever voted either way. I should have added it just an office league, only half the owners really care at all. Thus there is always the danger of people being badly fleeced.

I discussed the trade with both owners and all parties agreed to rescind it, so I didn't have to decide. But I was leaning towards a veto because the guy with the bad team couldn't really offer up a reason he was making the trade other than, "the other guy told me it was a fair trade".
Old 11-18-2005, 05:35 PM

that is clearly a bad trade. However, you are in a bad spot. I would tell the league that you think that this should be disallowed, but you don't want to have a hint of foul play, so you will let them vote on it. If anyone protests, simply disallow it.