Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Delgado to Mets

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2234421

Mets get Delgado and $7M for Mike Jacobs and Yusmeiro Petit.

Thoughts? I would have been fine with Jacobs at 1B this year, but I guess money is no object right now for the Mets.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Delgado to Mets

looks like a good deal for both teams again. fish now have a lotta young talent.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:47 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Whoa, Minaya is crazy. Giving up your top pitching prospect in a deal for a 33 year old 1B is not good. Sure it's just prospects, but wouldn't the Marlins deal Delgado to just about anyone willing to take on that contract? Seems like a gross overpayment to me. Not Kazmir for Benson level, but not too far from it.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoa, Minaya is crazy. Giving up your top pitching prospect in a deal for a 33 year old 1B is not good. Sure it's just prospects, but wouldn't the Marlins deal Delgado to just about anyone willing to take on that contract? Seems like a gross overpayment to me. Not Kazmir for Benson level, but not too far from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think delgado is a better investment than thome, and IIRC those are the only 2 pretty good 1B's on the market.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:54 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think delgado is a better investment than thome, and IIRC those are the only 2 pretty good 1B's on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree, and in a vacuum it's fine. But it just seems like typical Minaya, revealing his cards too early. There are not a slew of teams that were clamouring for his services and would take that contract, so the Mets were in a position of strength. I'd think he could have gotten the deal done with lesser prospects is all.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree, and in a vacuum it's fine. But it just seems like typical Minaya, revealing his cards too early. There are not a slew of teams that were clamouring for his services and would take that contract, so the Mets were in a position of strength. I'd think he could have gotten the deal done with lesser prospects is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what texas was saying 36 hours before beckett and lowell went to boston. The yanks could use a 1b, even [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 12:22 PM

Wow, it sounded like Delgado really hated the idea of coming here. Mutts fans didn't sound like they wanted him either. I thought they would give Jacobs a chance. weird.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I'm not sure why Minaya wanted Delgado so badly, but I'm not sure it was worth giving up Petit for him. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kazmir for Zambrano, which is worse obviously. But that said, I love this trade. Jacobs is good, but got overrated due to running hot for 100 abs last year. Petit seems like the real deal, but he got rocked in AAA last year. Neither of them is the lock that Kazmir is. In Delgado you get a guy who has guaranteed 30 HR power(shea will obviously dilute that a bit) and a guy who really makes the lineup much more imposing. Reyes, Beltran, Wright, Delgado, Floyd. All of a sudden the Mets are borderline scary! The Mets pitching staff is built to win now, or not for several years. Chances are high that the Mets will get Wagner and some guy most people have never heard of to bolster middle relief, and we'll be looking at a very realistic World Series contender next year(especially if Beltran wakes up).
-James
Old 11-23-2005, 01:19 PM

we need a JoA beacon, lol