Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: War of the Worlds

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you that I think they could have come up with a better ending for the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

U must be too young to have seen the origional, or heard Orson Well's radio play. I have experianced both, I thought everyone over the age of 20 knows this story inside and out by now.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not that they used the original ending - rather that it was horribly implimented and more or less happened randomly. The whole movie was disjointed and horseshitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree about this though.

The martians went from kicking ass to the next scene...they're dying. There was no real transistion...it went boom Martians kicking ass to...BOOM the're dying all over the place.

Personally I liked the scenes with Tim Robbins in the basement. Good stuff.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then you my friend havent seen Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants...or u have and think its a masterpiece. In which case your opinion sucks. Wait, it does. But alas you can think what you wish I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't seen Sisterhood of the Traveling pants, but Alexis Bledel is pretty hot, so it is possible that I would enjot this movie more then I did War of the Worlds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt mean that to come off harsh on the opinion thing. I was slightly drunk when I wrote that and had just come from seeing the movie.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:42 AM

i enjoyed the movie. i'm 26 and do not know the story behind wotw, MY BAD I AM SO SORRY OMG I AM NOT CULTURED IN THE SLIGHTEST! just didn't have the chance or the motivation to investigate this story.

anyway, the ending should have been described a little better. not everyone going to this movie will know the ending or why they died. even after morgan freeman gives us the cliff's notes version, i overheard many ppl say (as i was walking out of the theater) "why did they die?"

overall i enjoyed this movie, i'd give it an 8/10.

to the morans that read this thread and *GASP* had the ending ruined for them.....

Old 07-03-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand what you are saying Blarg, but my point was that if this book was published today by an unknown author it would not be such a major success, sense science fiction has evolved from the time when this was written.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I always try to clear my mind of such things so I give the work a fair chance. Otherwise you miss out on the miracle something really fairly was when it came out. Which it still is, fairly. The imitations and what came after enhance what came before, for me, not cancel it out or diminish it.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Feh

Horrible movie. If you're over twenty-two and liked it, with all due respect, you're immature. Speilberg has made this movie at least twice before. It was kind of a mix of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Jurassic Park, only not as entertaining as either.

My favorite shot was when we first see Tim Robbins. The camera comes in close on his face. I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been a voice-over saying, "Look, it's Tim Robbins." I thought we might be in for some fun, hten, but no, Robbins simply did the same thing he did in Mystic River, namely, try to act creepy.

Maybe it's just that I'm 52, but this was a POS. Last movie I saw Cruise in was Collateral, in which I thought he was excellent. He was particularly boring in this one.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:03 PM

I haven't read the comments, but I've heard a couple people bitch about the ending -

it's not as bad as Independance Day (let's write a virus on an Apple for an alien computer code and inject it onto the master computer and start blowing these things apart ONLY when they open up their big guns to fire)

Truth is, it's actually pretty faithful to the spirit of the book - people don't understand that this isn't a movie about conflict like ID4, it's like those movies where the storm or tornado comes and all you can do is try to survive it - it's not about combat, it's a story of survival - some folks don't like that...

I only had one little beef with it, but I don't wanna spoil it - (ok, what the hell) - the idea that the tripods have been buried for yrs. was stupid - they should have just let them land like normal.

RB
Old 07-04-2005, 11:24 PM

that is one lame ass ending.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I haven't seen Sisterhood of the Traveling pants, but Alexis Bledel is pretty hot, so it is possible that I would enjot this movie more then I did War of the Worlds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but im not sure if Alexis herself could have saved this movie from being the worst movie ive seen in a long time. The last few movies ive seen: Grind, some 80's movie about an aerobics competition, You got Served, and Wimbledon....all of which were about 100 times better than WOTW.

-JP

Gilmore Girls rules.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Feh

I'm 30 and don't think I'm particularly immature, and neither is my wife, and we both liked the movie a lot. I thought the first half was outstanding and it went downhill from there. It did a good job of capturing the terror of being an relatively ordinary person in a horrible situation.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why are you such a jerkoff. you could have put that in white or something. thats like posting a naked picture and underneath it typing "NSFW"

thanks alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

THE TITLE OF THE THREAD IS WAR OF THE WORLDS.