Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: YES! I ran the [censored] out of a red light and got busted cold

[ QUOTE ]
i've never known those "here's your speed" gadgets to have cameras. i don't understand why they aren't employed more liberally. i see empty cop cars parked strategically for days, and i'm pretty sure a crown vic runs more than an electro-sign.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some do, some don't. My mom was on the city council for a newly-incorporated city a few years ago. Since they were no longer under contract with the county police, they had to get a new PD up and running. They got one of those roadside speed things. It cost about $8k, if I remember correctly, and definitely did NOT have a camera. I thought it was funny when I heard people saying it did and that they slowed down for it - I usually sped up.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:24 AM

Not sure how it is there but here the redlight cameras dont all have cameras in them. They have 4 intersections with the box and sensors, and only 1 camera that they move around between the 4 intersectins. However, they all have a flash when you go through them whether the camera is installed or not. So if you run it and get the flash, your odds of getting a ticket are 1 in 4.

rJ
Old 11-18-2005, 10:47 AM

Running red lights may not be the smartest thing, but I got pulled over for my "license plate light" being out. I'd never even heard of a license plate light. Cops have nothing better to do than pull you over after midnight on a Friday/Saturday night
Old 11-18-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...I'd never even heard of a license plate light. Cops have nothing better to do than pull you over after midnight on a Friday/Saturday night

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a link to the Texas DPS Vehicle Inspection Website that deals with license plate lights:

Texas DPS Website
Old 11-18-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should grow up and learn how to drive more safely. Running red lights is very uncool.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in high school I drove like a tool, real fast. One day on my way to work a guy pulled up next to me, and I had my window open. He got my attention and then said with 100% sincerity in a very kind manner "hey, would you mind slowing down when you drive? I have kids, and it scares me to think what would happen if they ran into the middle of the street..."

That got me to slow down.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know if this is just a fine or traffic school?

[/ QUOTE ]
In Philadelphia, the red light camera will net you a $100 ticket.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:39 AM

really good to know. I think it varies but generalyl its just a fine ....
Old 11-18-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have kids, and it scares me to think what would happen if they ran into the middle of the street...

[/ QUOTE ]
I never really understtod this. In all my time growing up I never saw any of my friends spontaneously deside that "into the middle of the street" was a good place to run, especially with oncoming traffic. If that guy's kids are really itching to play some real life Frogger I think they have bigger problems than you going a few mph over the speed limit.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Running red lights may not be the smartest thing, but I got pulled over for my "license plate light" being out. I'd never even heard of a license plate light. Cops have nothing better to do than pull you over after midnight on a Friday/Saturday night

[/ QUOTE ]

A burned-out light is a legitimate violation that gives them legal probable cause to stop you and check you for drinking, drugs, etc. (A lot of which goes on after midnight on a Friday/Saturday night. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] )
Old 11-18-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they pulled you over for a trivial violation on a Friday or Saturday night, they were probably actually trying to catch DUI's. The licence plate light being out is just a legal excuse to stop you. Then, if they smell alcohol, or you tell them you had "a couple of beers" when they ask you if you've had anything to drink, they can do the field sobriety, breathalyzer, etc.