Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Am I Playing Too Tight?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Trust me, get the book. My game has skyrocketed since reading Volume I and half way through Volume II. I cash more and make more final tables then I ever used to. I learned that AJo facing a huge reraise isnt that good anymore. GET THE BOOKS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that be:

Harrington on Hold 'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments: Strategic Play (Vol. 1)

and

Harrington on Hold'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments: Endgame, 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 12-03-2005, 08:22 AM

GET THE BOOKS!!

Also it seems that you are playing only your hands and not the situations and the players.
You have to keep constant awerness of the showdowns and regularity of entered pots with regards to the other players. How often do they raise, limp,fold,reraise when, where, how, against how many opponets, what was the size, how was the follow up. Always check HH to see what they muck if showdown. Make notes,make notes, make notes. Try to imagine how you would perceive yourself if watching you, play to your image. etc,etc,etc READ READ,READ and make up your own mind about stuff, find your game.
I studder, studder studder [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Stokken, stokken, stokken
Old 12-03-2005, 08:25 AM

The responses that you'll get to a very general question like this isn't going to help you much. Just post hands before considering anything else. After posting a few, you'll have a good idea of what leaks (if any) you need to clear up.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Trust me, get the book. My game has skyrocketed since reading Volume I and half way through Volume II. I cash more and make more final tables then I ever used to. I learned that AJo facing a huge reraise isnt that good anymore. GET THE BOOKS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that be:

Harrington on Hold 'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments: Strategic Play (Vol. 1)

and

Harrington on Hold'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments: Endgame, 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

I will get both for Christmas.

For what it is worth, I currently own:

Getting Started in Hold Em by Ed Miller (read)
Small Stakes Hold Em (read, and rereading)
The Theory of Poker (currently reading)
The Psychology of Poker
Hold Em for Advanced Players

Thank you to everyone for all of your input.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:25 AM

Sorry, yes it is to both.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this is a weak point in my game. Instead of getting that book, is there anywhere else you can direct me to to learn or figure it out? I think if I can learn to loosen up as far as when I need to, I can dominate the tourneys I enter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This book is THE definitive source and most people, pros and amateurs alike, will agree that Dan's books are the best available when it comes to NL Hold'em tournaments. If you want to win at this game you need to be willing to put in the work. There's no super secret internet website that will give you all the information that Dan lays out in his books. Read them both, read this forum and you can become a winning player. There is no shortcut to beating this game.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:19 PM

Raise.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:21 PM

First of all, know thy player. There are some players that make a min raise with monster hands to induce a reraise, usually, though, it means they have a drawing hand or it's a feeble attempt to steal the blinds. Your hand figures to be better than his most of the time. Raise him.