Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 05:30 PM

Default How deep, before you fold AA, if ever? Am I just a pussy? Probably.

Okay, so the subject says it all. I've already come to terms with the fact that probably every person who responds to this thread will respond with "Don't play poker, if your such a f*cking girl"...I guess I was just wondering if anyone else out there is a scared little bitch like me who plays limits that are too high for them.

I was sitting at a $2/$5 NL, $100-$300 buyin and I was up to about $500. This was after playing $3/6 earlier and building up to around $450 and then cashing out only $290. We were leaving soon, and I was happy to have made back the money I lost from my peak at $3/6.

$2/5 is the highest NL I have ever played, and $500 is the most I have ever had on a table at once, short of a extremely hot $4/8 session once.

So I started thinking...if the guy accross the table sitting with $1500 was to move all in preflop, and I looked down to Aces, with $500 in front of me, I am not sure if I could call. Maybe if they were black aces...

Momentarily after thinking this, I slapped myself and realised I have to call, or I would not be able to sleep that night...but seriously I dont think I could stomach losing $500 in one hand. Now obviously this means I was playing above my comfort levels and I'm sure the responses will be something like I should just stop playing poker and kill myself.

Regardless, has anyone else been at a table with way too much money for them to feel comfortable and seriously considered folding Aces preflop?
Old 05-08-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: How deep, before you fold AA, if ever? Am I just a pussy? Probably

And the award for biggest F*cking [censored] at the two plus two forums goes to....

JUMPTHRU!

Congrats buddy.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:40 PM

Not folding AA peflop, but I've talked over situations with a close friend about certains situation where I would be faced wit putting in a lot of money at a hgiher limit than I am used to playing and if I were playing the normal limit I play I wouldn't even hesitate whereas here I would. He and I both agreed that if you feel that way you should get up from that limit and go to where you are comfortable. Only problem is I play better when I have more money involved. But that's besides the point. No one is going to tell you to kill yourself, however, most will tell you to rack up asap. There is no point in playing in a game where the money matters to you and where you aren't willing to take one of the greatest situations in holdem.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: How deep, before you fold AA, if ever? Am I just a pussy? Probably.

You know the answer. Reduce the stakes. You have to be willing to lose a buy-in here.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:12 PM

The Wuss on poker: "Pocket Aces? Better play it safe and fold." (This ad is probably still up on ESPN.com every now and then...)

Seriously though, you pretty much answered your own post. Even so, your Aces are a huge favorite against any hand you'd be up against. If you're really uncomfortable playing post-flop with them, move all-in preflop, hope for a call, stack your chips when everyone folds, and leave the table.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:29 PM

Dude, of course you can fold Aces preflop. You should worry about the money, not the cards. Why risk your whole stack before you see the flop? BTW, PM me for my phone number. I have a home game that you're more than welcome to come to...
Old 05-08-2005, 06:41 PM

Although i never consider folding aces. This one time early in a tournamet. I reraised (i was ug+2) the UTG then to my amazement 3 people went all in! I looked down at my hand in disbelief, i just wanted to make sure i wasnt hallucninating and that i did have aces. I did and they were BLACK! Actually either way i was going all in but i was real nearvous. To answer your qustions, although to most people here you sound like a pus^y i disaggree. Your just a bad player. Losing players make losing moves like playing at stakes higher than their roll and skill permit them to. Also, i dont care if you been down all session and just came even. You have to play the same style of poker. Poker, especially at the low limits is a game of mistakes, you make money making good decisions and less mistakes than other. So to answer your question, play smaller limits improve your game and roll and soon enough you;ll never consider folding aces again.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:47 PM

The only time you should ever considering folding AA preflop is in a tourney. Or maybe 4 players pushing all in and you left to act with AA in a live game? May I remind you that you were given the chance to go heads up with AA, where you have the best odds of your AA holding up, rather than against like 2 or other 3 players. If you feel uncomfortable with that amount of money, you shouldn't be playing that limit cause then you're just playing with scared money. If you are unwilling to go all in with the best hand in the best situation, how could you even play well post flop in other situations?
Old 05-08-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only time you should ever considering folding AA preflop is in a tourney. Or maybe 4 players pushing all in and you left to act with AA in a live game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:57 PM

If you ever thinking of folding AA preflop (in a non-tournament situation) because of money/bankroll considerations you really need to drop down in limits. It's a mistake to even sit in a game that is too rich for your blood.

Garland