Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Entertainment Betting: Movies Opening This Weekend

[ QUOTE ]
Not looking good after the dip on Saturday... what gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?! What in the world happened on Saturday - almost no movie EVER makes less on Sat than on Fri night! Look at the chart - every single movie made more on Sat than Fri, except Serenity. You need the bigger Sat to counter the lower Sun expected figures.

Projections at $10.1 mil, this is horrible, as actuals rarely differ from Sunday estimates by 10%+.

I cannot remember any movie I have ever wagered on (or almost any even seen) making less on Sat than on Fri. I guess this movie truly is only fanboys who want to see it on opening night and opening night only, and then perhaps it will spread later via word of mouth later.

I do not think these are official studio estimates yet, so there is still a small amount of hope for changes in the official projections and later in the actuals, but that is a long shot. This sucks.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:36 PM

Generating the best opening among all the new films was the science fiction adventure Serenity with an estimated $10.1M.

The $39M production appealed to an adult male audience with 52% of the crowd being age 30 and older and a very high 61% being men. Exit polls were encouraging as 88% of those polled marked the space flick "excellent" or "very good." As expected for a sci-fi flick, Serenity was the only picture in the top ten to see Saturday sales fall from Friday.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As expected for a sci-fi flick, Serenity was the only picture in the top ten to see Saturday sales fall from Friday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever wrote that does not know what they are talking about. Almost all movies always do better on Sat than Fri, even sci-fi movies. A quick search shows that War of the Worlds, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I Robot, Resident Evil, and Robots all had better Saturdays than Fridays. I'd post more, but I don't pay for premium access to back data from the movie sites. That doesn't make me feel any better, since we're still losing the wager, but it was indeed an anomaly.