Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 03:31 PM

Default SH Preflop rule of thumb

I am playing mostly 2/4 NL 6-handed and have a rule of thumb preflop.

That is:
Never play a hand that does not contain:
A pair
Two cards Ten and above
Suited connector or one gap
Axs

That way I avoid troublehands as Q8s and A9o etc.

Do you think I lose much EV with that strategi? For example folding A9o in SB against BB.

Of course I don't play the hands above every time, the rule is just to always fold the other hands (expect in BB in unraised pot).

Other thoughts?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: SH Preflop rule of thumb

it's probably a good rule, but based on position and # of limpers, you should REALLY change your rules...
eg. A9o should be opened from button or sb
Old 09-06-2005, 03:37 PM

So the worst player limps (60%VPIP), you are in the SB with K9s, and you're not completing?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the worst player limps (60%VPIP), you are in the SB with K9s, and you're not completing?

[/ QUOTE ]
I muck... But I follow the rule Every time to not come in a situation where I think wtf, I take a shot with Q8s after a Bad Beat or something.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:43 PM

I know thats the best play that time, but in the long run, will I lose much EV by not doing that?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:46 PM

if you are just trying to play ABC, this is a very straightforward approach. When playing 2/4 shorthanded, it is a game of situations, from my experience you can get away with playing weaker hands because the players are generally much softer, thus u can outplay them/their stacks, and i feel 6max tables are much more successful when aggressive.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you are just trying to play ABC, this is a very straightforward approach. When playing 2/4 shorthanded, it is a game of situations, from my experience you can get away with playing weaker hands because the players are generally much softer, thus u can outplay them/their stacks, and i feel 6max tables are much more successful when aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Im with you... But this is really not an ABC style of play, actually I raise 4bb+1bb/limper with most of the hands I play so they cannot put me on 45s a low pair, a high pair or a hand like AK.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:24 PM

These seem like fine rules. But a lot of EV in shorthanded poker comes in getting headsup against fish, so you should probably take all opportunities to play very bad players, even with slightly worse starting hands. The more passive they are, the more crap you can play against them.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These seem like fine rules. But a lot of EV in shorthanded poker comes in getting headsup against fish, so you should probably take all opportunities to play very bad players, even with slightly worse starting hands. The more passive they are, the more crap you can play against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incredibly important if you are playing short handed. There is so much more creativity involved in short handed play. If you are going to nut peddle, do it in a full ring game.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:17 PM

Im definitely not nutpendling, Im just throwing away troublehands preflop. If I said I only play AK and big pairs then I will understand your point.