Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Did i make a mistake here? Orleans Open NL

We are down to just under 100 people left they pay 54. 150-300 blinds with a 25 ante. I'm in bb with Ak off. a 2nd utg make it 1k and has about 7k total. i have $6500 behind. He is the only guy that has me covered on my table. I know this player and he knows me. I know he's capable of laying a hand down and he knows i'm tight. I delibertae for a few moment and move all in. Did i make a mistake tanging with the other big stack?

This was my thinking. Unless he has AA,kk,maybe qq and Ak i think he has to fold. and by his raise to 1k it smelled like not a AA or KK hand. More like a jj's,1010's,99's, Aq or Aj hand. Possibly qq's but this is the only hand he may call with and have i'm worried about. And he may even fold that. This player does raise with a few more hand also. So the range could be even wider. 77,88, A10. This being said does it make my play right? Or is it still a mistake because if he does call and i lose i'm out. And with the amount of chips i had and the blinds so low i could have gone very far in this tourney. Especially considering i'm VERY careful usually. Almost to a point where i'm making a mistake not getting involved enough.

So what you guys think? Did i make a good play or did i make a mistake?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Did i make a mistake here? Orleans Open NL

Pretty standard play.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:00 AM

Smoothcall, I pretty much agree with your analysis of the situation, but why do you say this?

[ QUOTE ]
and by his raise to 1k it smelled like not a AA or KK hand

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-18-2005, 11:06 AM

I say that because most people when they have AA or kk play it in these ways more often. Either limping, doubling the blinds, or making it 3 times the bb. The extra 100 more than 3x times to me smells weakness. Not very weak mind you, but it looks like a hand that he doesn't want action on. So he's making a bigger raise to scare people away with. I'm sure some may have AA or kk here but in my epxereince it almost never is AA or kk.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:18 AM

I think you made a good play here..
Old 07-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Before I comment I would like to know how a 1000 raise identifies what
UTG has? I wish I possessed your intuitive powers. I'm not
trying to be a smartass but this looks to me like a standard
raise, unless I am missing something.

Bruce
Old 07-18-2005, 12:06 PM

See my above response.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:22 PM

I have to agree with Smoothcall here. 3 1/3 x BB does not look like a big pair. It is more typical for people to limp or make a small raise in early position with AA. If raises are getting a lot of callers, they may put in a big raise to narrow the field or get more money in, and hope someone will see that as a sign of weakness and come over the top.

1000 might be this guy's standard raise or the standard raise at the table. While an unusually small or maybe a large raise would make me suspect a big pair more, you can't rule it out based on raise size.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:35 PM

i think you're way off in your analysis and probably behind in the hand. You deliberated about his bet size more than if you thought he was loose, tight, weak, etc... You need a range. If hes an unknown then fold, mostly because he covers you.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:45 PM

I think you have to push here, unless you have a strong reason to suspect a big pair. There is a good chance villain will fold. Plus you could get called by AQ or something which you dominate. Against an underpair, you are about even considering pot odds. Against KK, you are not dead. All told, pushing is EV+.
Closed Thread