Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Party 1/2 full - Total Rock Garden?

So I just moved up to playing 1/2 at party a few days ago. So far i've been two tabling, so i think i've gotten a grasp of how these tables play. from what ive seen, these tables are ridiculously tight. pretty much the whole table folds to the blinds almost every hand, and there is very rarely more than 3 people in a hand. they seem to be full of tags. im constantly getting trapped by tricky players and i cant find any fish yet. is this just how these games play? should i find somewhere else to play? i dont think i can make very much money there.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Party 1/2 full - Total Rock Garden?

I've found Party 1/2 to be abnormaly tight at times too, I think it's because it's the fastest limit to clear bonuses. 1/2 or less is raked when the pot gets to $6, above that is raked at $20 so all things being equal there are actually more pots raked at 1/2 than at 2/4.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:40 PM

The gamblers are all playing the 6-max tables at 1/2.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:40 PM

Yeah, 1/2 has this reputation. I don't see it. It is certainly not full of TAGs. There are a lot of weak tight rocks, and a lot of those with TAG stats still play pretty straightforwardly. I like the 1/2 games, but you have to be willing to steal blinds and outmaneuver opponents postflop. Hand selection alone won't get you far. Aggression is important -- you can bully a lot of rocks off hands, but be careful to pick your spots. Plus, there are still plenty of fish at the 1/2 full game, just not nearly as many. You will also find the occassional maniac.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:41 PM

yeah it seems to be full of whores, which sucks, because i was hoping they would be at least somewhat loose like the rest of party. im having a really hard time adjusting so far. when i get a raising hand it almost always knocks everyone out of the hand and i pick up the blinds. i really dont think i can make any money here. i dont know what to do though, i dont want to move straight up to 2/4 even though i have built up a big enough bankroll to play it. is the 2/4 any better there?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, 1/2 has this reputation. I don't see it. It is certainly not full of TAGs. There are a lot of weak tight rocks, and a lot of those with TAG stats still play pretty straightforwardly. I like the 1/2 games, but you have to be willing to steal blinds and outmaneuver opponents postflop. Hand selection alone won't get you far. Aggression is important -- you can bully a lot of rocks off hands, but be careful to pick your spots. Plus, there are still plenty of fish at the 1/2 full game, just not nearly as many. You will also find the occassional maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah im sure part of it is that im still used to the insanely fishy .50/1 and im still getting used to the games. i guess i just need to get more comfortable with the game. and i might try some 6-max tables, ive been successful playing shorthanded in the past, its just a bit too intense for me most of the time.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:47 PM

I think 1/2 has the reputation of a proving ground on the way to 2/4 and higher. I have the roll for 2/4 (actually for 5/10), but I care more about playing poker well than moving up limits quickly. To be honest, I feel really comfortable at the 1/2 full game. Everytime AA gets nothing more than a blind steal is made up for the time I do a real blind steal with 33 or Kxs.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:05 PM

TAGs? Hardly. Most of the players are ultra-passive and completely unaware of things like position. You frequently see people open-limping in the CO with hands like AQ, and the only "tricky" thing about their play is that they are more than happy to just check-call every street with the best hand if anyone else shows any aggression at any point. Just be careful not to overplay your marginal made hands and respect raises from most of the players and you'll have the best of it.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:11 PM

I've seen stats that indicate that 2/4 has a higher percentage of people seeing the flop than 1/2. Most people aren't TAGs, but they are tight.

And like others have said, 1/2 6 max is full of those who enjoy gambooooling.

WJ
Old 03-06-2005, 07:15 PM

I've found this to be a general trend with all levels that offer 5/6 max tables. 2/4 and 3/6 are sooo much looser than 1/2 and 5/10.

I could just be imagining things tho.