Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 03:55 AM

Default Going bust against small PP. Help!

Lately, the without a doubt most common reason for me going bust is against small PP hitting sets against my big pairs/trips. The situation often looks like this: I make a big raise (say $5 with $40 behind) PF w/ AA-KK-AK. I get 2-3 callers. The flop comes T 5 2r. I pot it ($15-20) and get 1 caller. I now have about $20 left and the pot is $50-ish. Turn is rag, I push and get called by 22 or 55. Is there any way of preventing this from happening, or is this just poker?

Take this hand from yesterday:

.25/.50 NL Full ring 100XBB stacks. Table is loose on all streets, aggro preflop and semi-passive post-flop.

I’m dealt A Ks in MP. UTG+1 raises to $3 first in. I call and 2 players behind med call.

Flop ($12): K 8 3 r.

PF-raiser checks, I bet $12 and get 1 caller (not PF-raiser)

Turn is K (I think there is 2 to a flush on the board now)

I make it $20 (with about $10 left, hoping a weaker king will call)

I get re-raised for my last $10.

I call.

I get shown 3 3 for the full house.

Is there any way of getting away from situations like these, or is it just poker?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Going bust against small PP. Help!

with stacks as short as you describe, I don't think you can really get away from these hands.. playing these with deeper stacks is another matter altogther, though.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:58 AM

Bet half pot on flop. You'll get the same information as you would by betting full pot.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:34 AM

Ok. That seems reasonable. Only thing is that I loose value against a weaker K, but thats doesn't really bother me, I just want to win the hand (at the tables I play at, KQ KJ will often call both PF-raises and pot sized on flop). Say I bet half the pot on flop, and the K turns, what is my move? I have about $36 left and the pot is $24. Do I check? If so, do I call a push? I mean, the main hands I put him on is a weaker king or A K or A A (especially if I just bet $6 on flop). I have to be pretty certain of his low set to muck top trips top kicker when that pot is 2/3 of my stack. I guess read is everything here. A good player wouldn't push anything but A K or low sets, but people at .25/.50 could easily push top trips second kicker and such.

If the king hadn't turned, the hand would have been much easier to get away from, so I can see how betting half the pot would help me in general, but this hand specifically I find difficult. Also, if the flop was 2-suited, or somewhat more connected I would still be uncofortable betting less than the pot. I stille feel I need help i siyuations like these.