Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Critique of numbers for first 100 $20 + 2 SNG\'s at Party

Total tourneys: 100
Profit: $760

ROI: 34.5%
ITM: 45.0%

1st: 14
2nd: 16
3rd: 15
4th: 13
5th: 17
6th: 10
7th: 10
8th: 3
9th: 1
10th: 1

$/hr: $11.31 (Note I do not multi-table)

I am happy with these numbers and feel I have improved my game GREATLY thanks to this forum, Aleo's et. al's great spreadsheet, and reading some of the essays as well. So THANKS TO EVERYONE here at 2+2!

On a side note, I entered my first B&M NL tourney on Friday, field of 135, made it to the final table but went out first in 10th. Won $135, for around $70 in profit. I got real lucky on two hands but I was under the impression in these types of tourneys you will have to get lucky at least once or twice to make the money usually.

I am considering playing more B&M tourneys, and maybe moving up in level, or multi-tabling, however I want to work on my game some more. I feel my post-flop play is weak and if I usually don't have TPGK or a good drawing hand I usually don't want to stay in apart from a good read on my opponent. Online this strategy seems to work fine for me, but in B&M it seemed as if any pair was usually the winning hand. I really would like to read Tournament Poker by Slansky and SuperSystem II when it is released as well.

Any critique's, comments, and/or suggestions are welcome.
Will
Old 09-12-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Critique of numbers for first 100 $20 + 2 SNG\'s at Party

You're doing great. Time to move up.

eastbay
Old 09-12-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Question for Eastbay...

Hey Eastbay,

I was under the impression that people were moving up too fast.

I started 5 mo. ago or so with 20s, then moved to 30s and 50s within the first 3 weeks. 30s, I ended up down after about 30 tourneys. After 120 50s, I was dead even.

So, I moved back to 20s. I've definitely improved my game over the last few months, but my numbers at 20s are so much better than my past numbers at higher buy ins...

total played: 358
ITM: 42.74%
ROI: 35.85%

I'm playing 4 at a time, and making around $33/hr which is plenty for me (The best job I could get now is $15/hr), but I wouldn't be opposed to making more.

I guess I'm just worried about any negative ROI. I understand that at $50 tables, I can make more than I do now with half my current ROI, but I don't wanna lose.

What do you recommend?

Thanks man.

-Jman28
Old 09-12-2004, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Question for Eastbay...

If you are risk-averse, and you should be if you depend on your winnings as it sounds you do:

Maybe one thing you could try would be to "feather" in some 30's - say, make every 1 in 4 a 30. Then, it will take awhile, but you will be able to see if those games are going ok, without taking on too much risk in the process, as your winning 20 games will pad any losses, should they occur.

eastbay
Old 09-12-2004, 08:58 PM

Looks pretty good. I posted my numbers in this thread too. Seems like you do better early and I do better late. I'd like to hear a little bit of the way you play with 7+ players still in.

I definitely recommend Tournament Poker by Sklansky. Some really good concepts in there.

I think you probably need to get more agressive short handed from your description.

You place ITM slightly more than me but my ROI was slightly better. I credit this to extremely agressive play with 5 players or less. My finish detail is:

1- 59
2- 52
3- 42

Not boasting... It just seems like this is the part of your game that could improve. You should aim to have more 1st place finishes than any other place. The way to do this is to collect chips whenever you can...

You MUST steal blinds often, and after an attempt at the blinds fails, I take a shot at the pot most of the time.

Also, I make some calls that people don't like strictly because of pot odds.

If I'm in the T400 BB, and the SB pushes for an additional T700, I will call with almost any hand unless I have reason to believe he is very strong...

AKo v 75o, for example.

AKo wins 63.342%
75o wins 36.658%

In the case I gave, you're only putting in 31.8% of the pot and you should expect a return of 36.66%.. making this a +tourney EV.

And that was 75 v AK!

While I don't think that calls like this are extremely profitable in $$ EV alone, they intimidate your opponents and make them less likely to attempt to steal from you.

Here's an example of a play that I'd make whereas you may not...

4 handed-

You 3000
BB 3000
SB 1200
UTG 800

Blinds 200/400

You [7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

UTG folds
You raise to 900
SB folds
BB calls

Pot [2000]

flop [K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

BB checks
You...

I bet about 850 here. I'm risking less than half my chips, but I'm still threatening his whole stack. He would hate to go out with 2000 chips here and the short stack almost done. He usually isn't calling without at least a pair of Ks... or pocket Ts+.

For this to be profitable, it only has to work 1/5 times!

I would say it works at least 3/5 against typical $20 opponents.

many people consider this part of a tourney push or fold time, but I like the small pf raise because scenarios like this are common.

Someone let me know if I'm wrong.. I'll be happy to learn.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the response.

Looking back, I sounded much more risk-averse than I really am.

I guess my thinking is, I'm doing well, so why mess with it? (to make more, i know)

Can you give me your opinion on difference in skill between buy ins?

Thanks

-Jman28
Old 09-12-2004, 09:17 PM

Sure. In my opinion, the first discernible skill jump happens from 30 to 50. I think there is a much larger jump still from 50 to 100. I've never played 215.

About the time I was first learning SnGs, I hit a $5k score in a MTT, so I had a good cushion for moving through the lower levels very quickly. So if there is a difference between 10, 20, and 30, I may just not have hung around long enough to notice it.

I have still yet to break through and feel confident in the $109 games, despite beating the $55s for 35% ROI over 500 games.

eastbay
Old 09-12-2004, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For this to be profitable, it only has to work 1/5 times!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are risking 850 to win 2000. It looks like it will have to work somewhat more than about 3/10 to be +CEV (I'm speaking about the flop alone, not the whole action, which is actually more relevant for judging CEV).

What am I missing? (BTW, I'm not necessarily arguing against the move here).
Old 09-12-2004, 09:30 PM

I've decided to just make the jump to 30s, and not turn back till I get 150 of em.

I have the BR to support a decent loss, but I feel I'll still be a winner in 30s.

My real aim is the 50s, but I'm not gonna make a 2 level jump.

I'll try hard to get 150 30s in in the next couple weeks (I'm in school too), and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.

-Jman28
Old 09-12-2004, 09:32 PM

Default Thanks.. I\'m stupid (PLEASE IGNORE MY MISTAKE IN THE ABOVE POST)

You're absolutely right... I'm watching the Broncos Chiefs game, and lost focus.. thanks.

-Jman28