Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 01:29 AM

Default Hand at the End of live tourney 3 players left

end of a great live tourney and we are 3 handed blinds are 3k and 6k chip leader has roughly 80k, i am about 60k and other one is about 50k. I am in the small blind and chip leader is in the big blind. I have j4 off i call the small blind and chip leader (aggresive good player) checks, flop comes 2 4 6 rainbow i bet 10k chip leader calls the turn comes a j. So i have two pair I go all in he calls with 35 the nut straight. I am out in 3rd. Is their any advice on this hand on how to avoid going broke or did I just ran into a monster when i had a great hand with only 3 players.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Hand at the End of live tourney 3 players left

id fold preflop
j4 is a crap hand. i dont like completing the small blind with it
also dont wanna tangle with big stack

as for the hand, tough break
Old 06-27-2005, 01:44 AM

u fold in the small blind with 3 players left in the tourney? j4 isn't great, i understand that but its not a full ring game where everyone has fold to you. I think if i check the flop he almost certainly checks behind since he has the nut straight i hit the j on the turn and I am through. Thanks for you reply.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:24 AM

You probably go broke here any way you play it, hard to think your 2 pair aren't good here. The ONLY thing I might've done differently is raise pre-flop to try and steal. You didn't say if we was defending or not...nor the Blind level.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:20 AM

I've been in this situation before and wanted to comment on this. I disagree with those that say playing jack/4 offsuit is a bad idea. You just can't wait to play with the premium hands when your shorthanded. I think a better play would be low balling it somewhat. Bet for value on the flop and turn, realizing that two pair isn't the nuts. If he calls your bet on the turn, you should start be thinking your two pair isn't good. Why is he calling two bets? Why is he check calling. I'd be thinking most likely set here and remotely a straight. Hope to win a small pot here, not go all in and go broke. Has happened to me before at the end of a tournament, and I'm hoping I don't make that mistake again.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2005, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You probably go broke here any way you play it, hard to think your 2 pair aren't good here. The ONLY thing I might've done differently is raise pre-flop to try and steal. You didn't say if we was defending or not...nor the Blind level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree here.. If you're going to play a hand like this, I think you gotta be more aggressive with it pre-flop.

But then, that was just bad luck you ran into with the cards. You can't really blame your, sometimes stuff just happens.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:31 AM

You either have to raise this preflop or fold it preflop. Limping in out of position is a bad idea, especially when playing very shorthanded.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You either have to raise this preflop or fold it preflop. Limping in out of position is a bad idea, especially when playing very shorthanded.

[/ QUOTE ]