Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: $55 - LEVEL 1 - AK - UTG ** Let\'s talk strategy

The table dynamics matter here a bit. If everyone at the table is an unknown to me (and I am to them as well) then I definitely want to raise this UTG to 60. I feel its more likely if I am unknown that they will call with dominated hands than if they know how tight I am. If its a table of players who know me well, early, I might mix it up by limping.

If the flop misses, I am not going to make a continuation bet into a field of 4, I might into 3 players under these conditions. I would only call a small bet from the last to act, or from a habitual bluffer.

If the flop hits I bet it, 1/2-2/3 the pot. I think checking here with a draw heavy board is asking for trouble.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the flush/straight hits, I'm usually checking and then calling or folding depending on the strength shown. Otherwise I'm leading out allin and letting them chase at the reduced odds having one card left to hit gives them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you limp preflop, check-call flop, and then push on blank turn? isn't that giving away alot money? Is anyone u beat gona call?

Limp 15
check/call bet 55
push 920 chips on turn...
Old 04-25-2005, 01:50 PM

My thoughts on this hand on the $33 tables and below.

Well, this was my standard line on the lower tables. This worked and as very successful for me. On level 1, no matter what position I was in, I would raise to 5xBB (t75). If I was reraised I folded. If the flop hit me, I pushed the remaining chips in. If the flop missed me I folded.

But I no longer play the $33s, and I have new problems.....

My NEW problems have come from the following:
1. Education
2. Increased Aggression
3. Bigger chipstacks
4. Better opponents
5. Frustration

1. Education. Well, now I've learned about this thing called the continuation bet. Need I say more? Well, here's my experience thus far. (Small sample). A pot sized bet generally wins it. Anything less than a potsized bet, I get callers.

2. Increased Aggression - Often when I am OOP with a good hand like this (TPTK), I like to check-raise. From my past experience, I no longer like this line. I just get too many callers still. In general, I'd prefer to just take the pot right there. I'm one of those accumulators.

3. Bigger Stacks - well, now I have more room to "play" right. Now when the flop misses me, and I check, and there's a mini-bet, I'm more inclined to call the minibet (or 2x minibet - t30). Don't have much experience with this yet, and I haven't had a completed hand yet when this happens. Depending on where the minibet comes from, I often wonder if someone is playing a set or something of that strength (I do this too much, give players too much credit for their hands).

4. Better Opponents - Well these are the $55s. No longer are they calling big raises with Axo. Now they call with 89s, or pocket pairs, etc. My opponenets have more edges than they used to. The $22s were such a nesting ground for bad players, who overvalued the worst starting hands. If all I cared about was ROI, I would go back there, but alas, I'm more interested in $$$.

5. Frustration - I often say that I am lucky to have any hair left. This game is so frustrating sometimes, due to how lucky bad players get. I could go on about a few bad beats here, but I won't. Sometimes the more tricky I become, I can lead myself into more suckouts. Of course we should be happy when my checkraise allin with AK is called by A9, but it just seems like I would be better to just play strong and accumulate chips rather than to see a showdown with a worse hand (when all I have is TPTK).

So, here I am, in this position. I remember reading a recent post by Bigwig (and others in the past) who says he prefers to limp OOP with a drawing hand like AK. So I'm interested in talking about AK more. As there are many options to use, and it can be a costly hand if misplayed early in a tournament.

Scuba
Too many thoughts, and not enough conviction leads to mistakes, IMO.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:19 PM

what do you think of making 3x raises instead of 4 or 5x in order to allow yourself to make a strong continuation bet on the flop without overcommitting yourself? I've been playing around with this a lot lately with AJs and up. I was getting frustrated a lot because I felt like I was giving up too early too often with AK in many cases but at the same time losing too much too early with 2/3+ pot continuation bets that got raised after opening to 60-80. Still not sure if this is a viable strategy.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:51 PM

My style is too simplistic, but it works for me at the 11s.

In level 1-3 I raise from t75 to t125 (more with more limpers), if I get reraised, I push. That almost always thins the field. On the flop I push. I don't care what happens on the flop, I just push. And my actions are pre-determined. I don't stop and think. It is an instant push.

PreFlop I am such a favorite I'll take my chances of being against AA or KK. Post flop I'm taking my chances against everything else. Even if I miss the flop, there is still about a 25% chance I'll spike a A or K.

When you are playing against me, you'll see a big initial raise from me. Then on the flop it is usually checked around to me and then you'll see a instant push. I don't think I have ever lost that hand. I have been called, usually by a AJ- on a Axx flop.

Think about it. Even if you are holding QQ, what are you going to do? Big open raise, instant push. Do you really want to put your whole tourney on the line and call this or just give up your t100 call. You gotta be thinking I've got AA or KK, and even if I don't you still face a 25% chance of me spiking it on the turn or river.

I am probably missing out on some more chips, but my strategy is to get to level 4-5 with at least 800 chips. All I need to do is pick up 100 - 200 chips in the first 3 levels. Then on to my speciality of blind stealing.

Here's to not seeing you at my tables. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Of course I'm just a rookie, I could be wrong.

--------------Jeff

called once by KK. Of course I spiked an Ace and apologized. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Had two callers once, scared me, turned up AJ & 99. Flop was AKx, turn was another A [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] $50 winner
Old 04-25-2005, 04:35 PM

1. I limp UTG here more often than not. I call any raise up to 4 bbs unless there are extenuating circumstances eg I know the raiser is solid)
2. This flop is then an easy check/fold.
3. I bet pot here. If somebody else bets the pot before me and I dont fear too much action behind me I push. If I get called I assume flush draw until I get a reason to assume anything else.

Overall I think you're giving too much credit to the 55 players. I totally understand how this is possible because when I first made that jump I assumed it was a different game because of the stack sizes and the better players. I think the key is to stick to playing how you know how. There are minor adjustmetns that need to be made for sure but I think the more you play them the more you'll see things that just baffle you early in the game - horrible calls and such. The biggest difference seems to be the players left near the end seem to be better. But the beginning the game is really similar I think. Just be confident. You killed the 33s you can easily kill the 55s.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:46 PM

Perhaps, but AK early out of position isn't exactly the nuts, so I don't play it as such. I want to play a small pot with it and am not willing to risk my tournament to some idiot who is calling with a straight/flush draw, as I know there will be TONS of better spots down the line.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:50 PM

OK, I'll play:

Preflop: Hero is UTG with AKo.
Hero ....

[ QUOTE ]
Part 1:
OK, I'm interested in hearing different ways in which to play this hand. Limp? Raise (how much)? If you're raised, what's your line? Whichever direction you take, talk about your subsequent strategy on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the early levels UTG, I'll limp about 0% of the time. I'll raise anywhere from 3x-6x BB early in the SNG, only playing premium hands. Usually I'll raise to 75 here.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (XXXXXXX) 9, T, 5

Part 2:
Ok, let's assume this is the flop.
Assumptions:
If you limped, there is 4 people in the pot with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-fold. Nothing changes unless an ace or king comes on a later street. I wouldn't limp in the first place though.

[ QUOTE ]
If you raised, assume there is 3 people in the pot with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

About a third of the time, I'll bet half to two-thirds of the pot, and shut down if called/raised. About two-thirds of the time I'll check/fold. If an ace or king comes on a later street, I'll generally check-call a reasonable bet. Neither card excites me too much though, as the board is semi-coordinated at this point, and I like to tread with caution early on.

Flop: (XXXXXXX) K , T , 3

[ QUOTE ]
Part 3:
Ok, let's assume this is the flop.
Assumptions:
If you limped, there is 4 people in the pot with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I'm never in this spot, but if I happened to misclick and found myself in this spot, I'd check-raise a good amount, and be willing to get all-in on this flop without prior kwnoledge of my opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
If you raised, assume there is 3 people in the pot with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lead out one half to two-thirds of the pot, and be willing to get all-in.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:50 PM

800 chips is still sufficient in Level 1. I really don't see your point in betting 100 chips preflop to play a pot where you're going to be way out of position without a made hand. Raising AK in this way in the early levels is an ego play, IMO, because the cards are too pretty to let go.

If you're going to let it go to a bet on the flop, then raising to 100 is just spewing chips. If you're going to raise, raise to 45, but I still stand by limping as the best play.