Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Re: M\'s and Manny?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With his production, I'd take my chances putting him in left. He has his awkward moments, but he'll more than make up for it at the plate.
Edit: He gets a pretty bad rap for his errors, but his arm is pretty damn good. He had 17 assists last year, and 10+ in 5 of his 8 season in which he has played at least 125 games in the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

He seems like an average left fielder, hes not bad, but not great, just average. Its just that instead of making normal errors fielders would make he has massive brain fart moments where he sacrifices his body to stop a throw to the infield from his own team. That brain fart is in the top 5 funniest baseball moments of all time, along with the play where the baseball bounced of Cansecos head for a homer, man im waiting for that to happen to Manny, its just meant to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
If that happened in Fenway it would really be something.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:47 AM

He has horrible range. His defense costs his teams at least 10 runs in the field.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He has horrible range. His defense costs his teams at least 10 runs in the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can spit out random stats too. His offense has given his team at least 2 runs for every game his defense cost them 1 run.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With his production, I'd take my chances putting him in left. He has his awkward moments, but he'll more than make up for it at the plate.
Edit: He gets a pretty bad rap for his errors, but his arm is pretty damn good. He had 17 assists last year, and 10+ in 5 of his 8 season in which he has played at least 125 games in the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if part of the reason he had so many assists last year is because people ran on him more because he plays left field pretty poorly. And since players are taking more chances, he will have more opportunities, and hence more putouts. I am assuming it works the same way for the guy with the most steals. He probably gets thrown out more often than someone that steals just an average amount. But, Jack will know more about this than me.

craig
Old 11-26-2005, 05:17 AM

thats part of the reason, the other part is fenway. Lots of balls hit the wall and comeback to the lf really fast makin it easy to get guys goin for two.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:18 AM

Um, yeah, probably, I never said he was an average player, just that he's overrated because his defense is very bad. What it would cost to get Manny would be overpaying for what he's actually worth.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:39 AM

Not really any marquee player could be gotten without overpaying though. Manny is the best right handed hitter in baseball right now. There are not a lot of great defensive left fielders, guys who could play a great left field are gonna be at other positions.

I think I just spit out three random points.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really any marquee player could be gotten without overpaying though. Manny is the best right handed hitter in baseball right now. There are not a lot of great defensive left fielders, guys who could play a great left field are gonna be at other positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm comparing Manny's defensive worth to other left fielders. He's one of the worst in the league.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm comparing Manny's defensive worth to other left fielders. He's one of the worst in the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much does his consistent hitting and power balance this out though? And what are the chances he leaves boston anyways?

craig
Old 11-26-2005, 06:17 AM

Well, it's quite simple. According to B-Pro, Manny was 46.6 RAP last year in batting. Let's say he's 16.6 below average in left field. A reasonable guess and it gives us a nice round number of 30 runs above average. By that measure, his season last year was probably comparable in value to, say... Randy Winn.