Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Tricky River; Good Bluff Inducer?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($20.43)
Hero ($115.6)
MP ($60.2)
CO ($20.65)
Button ($48.4)
SB ($403.15)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $2.50, Hero calls $2.50.

I have few reads on this table. Big stack is sitting there not playing a single hand, so I'm guessing he gets his money in with monsters vs monsters/idiots? MP just seems to be a regular, fairly predictable 6-max player (the betting pattern should narrow the range down for most 6max games especially at night.)

Flop: ($9.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $6</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, MP calls $6.

I have gone back to minraising as it has been very effective when interest in the hand seems to be average or uncertain (flop/river push if I can tell they're HIGHLY interested or I see no other way of getting the most money in). Fully confident at this point.

Turn: ($33.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10.99</font>, MP calls $10.99.

From his flop CALL of my min-raise tells me that he does not have an overpair and leaves me w/ AK as his hand, hoping to catch just that on the turn. When the turn is such a blank for the hand I put him on and such a strong card for me I thought about checking--bad thought altogther right? Tossed that aside and bet a weird amount to HOPEFULLY get that call from AK (I'm hoping the bet looks so weird to him that he does not respect it--thinks the river is on sale for a lowlow price).

River: ($55.23) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $34.21 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $34.21.

UHOH?? Ok the river is a counterfeitting card. My wired pair is now useless and I'm playing the smallest house out there! I was about to bet when I figured I had no idea what to bet. If I pushed I would definitely not get called by anything BUT a better house right? I didn't think AK would CALL, that would be way too fishy and I didnt see this guy as that dumb. A small value bet was a choice, but I remembered his flop call of my minraise and was sure he had AK, so I checked hoping to induce a bluff.

OK, when he actually DID push on the river (quite quickly after my check I might add ) I second-guessed myself. But this board was still very safe in the sense that the high card was a 7. I reasoned that ONLY a wired pair would be winnning this pot (no A7s in my mind). Stuck to my guns and called his push.

The questions are:
Was inducing at this point a mistake?
Would a value bet keep better control over this one?
Am I pot committed and this river/is this an easy call on river?
Is it plainly obvious he has AK?
When the board counterfeits like that am I the only one who gets pissed?
Is this river actually good for my hand considering how the hand progressed???

Please feel free to comment/flame, TY in advance

Final Pot: $123.65
Old 04-24-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Tricky River; Good Bluff Inducer?

Your money should be in far before the river.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:57 AM

Wow.

Fold pre-flop. Flop is.. well.. it's Ok, but I'm not crazy about it. Push the turn. Fold the river.

What range of hands are you putting villian on? Good lord...
Old 04-24-2005, 03:01 AM

The flop is wretched.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:01 AM

Please reread edited version.
There is no way I fold pre-flop to his bet!
What about the flop is "Ok", the actual flop or my minraise?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:02 AM

Reread original post to see how I thought this one out.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:03 AM

Why would I want to lose this guy?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:11 AM

Where did I mention doing anything to lose him.

Min check raising the flop should set of warning bells to this guy, especially if that is your standard line.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:15 AM

Am I the only one who sees my play here as almost standard up to the river? It seems like people force too much action sometimes w/ sets. I do actually PUSH or reraise a SUBSTANCIAL amount on the flop w/ a set, but that is ONLY if I think there is SUBSTANCIAL interest by the villain, ie AA-QQ. If not I try to figure out just HOW MUCH interest the villain has in this board and I try to extract the most based on that interest.

No one else does this? Is it just "flop a set and reraise the HELL out of every flop?????"
Old 04-24-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reread original post to see how I thought this one out.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I couldn't narrow villian down to AK, no way what so ever, uh-uh, nope. Did I mention that there's no way I could? In fact I'd place him on mid pocket pair 99-JJ. The call on the river indicated nothing to me. In fact, I'd play it the same if I had a mid-pocket pair 6 handed, hoping to bring you a long. The turn call indicates he's got something, as the board pairs and he's still right there. Unless you place him as being complete idiot fish, I take his push on the river seriously and drop this hand. Inducing a bluff? I have no idea what you're talking about. Your best bet here was to lead considering you were probably beat. I think trying to induce something now puts you in the situation where you don't know what the hell villian has. If you were going to do anything, you should have lead the river. A bad hand all the way around imo.