Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: What motivates you?

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't put enough hours in above 50/100 to notice any changes, but it seems that there aren't many super-fish in these games to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

{{H 510 - V 58 - R 23 - NF 32 - ag 1.0
{{H 10,830 - V 33 - R 21 - NF 23 - ag 1.3

are sitting at my 100-200 table at this very instant. Both play bad postflop as well as preflop. That said, the games are trending tougher, but I personally believe that the trend towards toughness will slow considerably.
-James
Old 09-04-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally believe that the trend towards toughness will slow considerably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they will. Its like a yo-yo craze. Originally the kids that have had it at home are the best, then everyone gets one and plays it to death and kinda catches up. But they never fully catch up 'cos the kid who had it all along has been getting better, and now his got a whole new bunch of sik tricks... Off topic?...

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 11:04 AM

1. Money
2. Love of the game
3. Competition
4. Not doing school work
Old 09-05-2005, 01:30 PM

My primary motivation is money, just like everyone elses. The other key thing for me is that feeling that i am better at people at something. When you aren't feeling good about something, it's always nice to turn to something that will make you feel like you have special/unique qualities.

Gabe
Old 09-05-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Money
2. Love of the game
3. Competition
4. Not doing school work

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself
Old 09-05-2005, 03:41 PM

Money and competition, two of my favorite things...
Old 09-05-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yours was the only reply i thought none pointless. Everyone saying just money (no [censored]?) seemed pointless. I bet everyone who replied would have enough money to live off either from their job or by playing less hours, so why the motivation for extra enough to put more hours in?

[/ QUOTE ]

1-800,

I don't know if this will be pointless or not. Until recently (when I took out money to buy a poker-dedicated laptop) I had never spent a dime of my poker winnings but kept it all in bankroll so I could move up. I guess then money is not the primary motivator for me although it is nice to make money off something that for me is a hobby.

I guess for me I have given up on a number of pursuits over my life (e.g., chess, bridge, speaking French, playing guitar) that had I kept up with over all these years I would probabloy be pretty good at by now. I started playing poker before the poker craze and it seemed like a pretty marginal (i.e. outside the mainstream (lol now)) pursuit and I thoght to myself that if I actually stick with it I may have a hobby that someday I am really good at. But for 2+2 I may have lost interest again. However, the level of thinking that I see here (when the boards are at their best) that still eludes me gives me something to strive for in learning the various poker games (but hold 'em, duh, in particular).

Now that I have advanced a little, money has become more of a motivator but not to the exclusin of the intrinsic value I describe above. At $3/6 I simply cannot make enoug playing a few hours a week to make anappreciable difference in my life. But the prospect of one day playing $15/30 or $30/60 means that I could put enough away, over many years, to make an impact on, for example, a college fund should we have kids someday.

All the best.

Colgin
Old 09-05-2005, 06:25 PM

1) the freedom that the money brings
2) striving to get better than the next guy

I'm not bored of the game though, probably cause I only play ~25k hands/month
Old 09-05-2005, 09:48 PM

Each summer we go on kick ass vacation spending almost entire roll. Just got back...left 300 seed $$ again for next year's hedonistic trip. If things go well it should be a month in Italy for us.

That motivates me to bonus whore/grind and the wife (who hated poker before any trips) is now all for it.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:52 PM

1) Money
2) Call it addiction? I love the game

both are probably about equal