Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Father/Son Tournament

My friend is having a father/son tournament later on this month and I was looking to see if anyone had any good ideas on the structure or if anyone had played in something like this before. All comments and suggestions are appreciated. The game is going to be mostly average skilled players (most of the sons and a few of the fathers) players who have never played before (most of the fathers) and a few good players ( three of the sons and one of the fathers). Based on that I was wondering if there was a special way I should structure the game or if it would be possible to have a fathers vs. sons type of game. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Father/Son Tournament

Assuming you have one father and one son:

I would carve out 50% of the overall money and award 25/15/10 to the top three fathers and sons. Determine the top 3 pairs by adding their final positions together and taking the lowest three scores.

This could work with multiple sons by averaging the position of all sons before adding that number to Dad's position.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:03 PM

I ran a tournament similar to what you are describing, except we allowed daughters and moms. I just ran a normal tourney with three tables. It worked fine except the final table only had one guy, which was kind of funny. It was alot of fun, and even the adults who didn't know how to play had fun (In fact one of those adults ended up winning.) It's a good way to play some poker but also have a large social element. Hope yours goes well,

-Plummy1013
Old 09-05-2005, 01:58 PM

Thanks a lot for all the input, I really appreciate it. I think I might try to structure it similarly to what was described in the first reply although I am not positive yet. More ideas are always welcome.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:07 PM

you could do a double elimination (or single) heads up tournament. i know this isnt as much fun but you could have a fathers only bracket and a sons only with the winners meeting.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:57 PM

I probably wouldn't do it like that since its more of a social experience for everyone (besides a few players looking to win) and although the heads up element would be a great idea the tournament would lose its father/son bonding time which is kinda the main idea. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:52 PM

Structure it like Poker Royale on GSN. Have half-n-half at the tables (three dads, three sons or whatever) and have them get point by elimination rank. Top three of each are at final table.