Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Hey Guys

I don't mean to sound like an arrogant idiot, but is it just me or is the advice on the lowstakes NL section of this forum pretty bad?

I like to read through there as I'm actually more of a lowstakes player than a real mid or highstakes player, but it seems like half of the posts I read I find myself thinking "nope that's totally wrong."

I'm just curious because either I don't know as much about poker as I think I do, or there are some posters that are way off base.

Anyone else ever read posts down there?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Hey Guys

Yes the advice given on the SSforum are often questinable. In smallstakes people dont flame each other nearly as often as in the midhighstakes forum. The result is that TOO many give advice without fearing to be flamed. Here if you give horrible advice someone will notice, there, everyone couldnt care less. They post how THEY would play it without proving with any facts that it is the right way to play the hand. Without backround and "proof" there isnt much helping you with the hand when you dont know what you should've done based on either mathematics or simple reasoning.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:08 PM

i'm a low stakes player and i occasionally post there. the advice i'm given is terrible.

i also love the small stakes players that reply to posts on this forum, and close their posts by saying "note: i only play 25NL, so i'm not sure if this is right or not..."
Old 05-02-2005, 01:34 PM

Small stakes and mid stakes play quite differently. You have to play a certain style to beat bad players with illogical hands, so if I posted the exact same hand as a 2/4 hand or a Party 25 hand, the optimal line would be different. There are some good posters in SSNL, and maybe there are some bad ones. Whatever you think of the advice, don't post your 0.5/1 hands in MHNL just because you get better posters here.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:48 PM

Not sure if fimbulwinter posts there any more. He was solid... there are a few other regulars that are solid. I find the content of mid-/high-stakes to be much more useful and reliable.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:55 PM

Ghazban, BobboFitos and TheWorstPlayer also give very good advice in the SSNL forum.

Doesn't it make sense that worse advice is given in the SS forum? Wouldn't people playing the 25NL game generally be a worse player than one playing the 1000NL game?
Old 05-02-2005, 02:01 PM

haha good point [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 06:15 PM

Ok, thanks guys, glad to hear I'm not the only one that sees this.

Also, don't get me wrong there are good posters down there, there are just a number that are probably fairly new players and a little off. I think people should hold their feelings aside and speak up if something is said that is incorrect.

Heck, if I say something that's way off base please let me know. Obviously you don't need to make a personal attack, but as nice as people want to be, to have incorrect information out there is harmful.

Gl at the tables,

David
Old 05-02-2005, 06:42 PM

Do you go by dufresne on party skins? If so, man you should stop chatting and play poker. Your ego needs to drop down like a hundred steps. If that isn't you sorry...
Old 05-02-2005, 06:57 PM

dufresne is not my screename, no. Also, I rarely play at party.

I would say what it is, but I just have a weird feeling I would regret revealing it.

David