Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2004, 12:53 AM

Default computer tech help needed(off topic)

I am having a problem all of a sudden tonight with Party Poker draining my system resources to the point where pp freezes up and I have to restart it. Any ideas how I can fix this, I have the $200,000 tourny tomorrow and need to get these bugs worked out before then.

I loaded some software earlier for a digital camera, since I thought it might be that I uninstalled that software and a bunch of other stuff I don't really use, and I still have the same problem.

Just yesterday I could play multiple tables at pp and today I can barely play one. Any tips or ideas to fix this problem are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2004, 12:56 AM

Default Re: computer tech help needed(off topic)

Are you using Windows XP?
Old 01-25-2004, 01:02 AM

Windows 98, I just logged on again to try to talk to customer support, and it started draining my system without even having a table opened.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:08 AM

are you sure it's your system? Party itself has been having a lot of issues over the last couple days, frequent lags in between hands, etc...just a thought.

J
Old 01-25-2004, 01:14 AM

I think it is Party, but since I put new software on earlier I am not 100% sure, I put my system resource meter on and you can see it(party) draining my resources, I was just wondering if there was something I could do on my end so I am not out $215 tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:19 AM

First try another poker site, Party is causing everyone problems right now.

If the other site works fine I cannot help you. If it does not go and clean out your temporary internet files.

Start: Control Panel: Internet Options: Click on Delete Files: Check delete all ofline content: Click OK: Wait till the hourglass disappears: Click on Settings: Move the control bar 3/4 of the way to the right: Click on OK: Click on the next OK: Close the Control Panel and HOPE!

Old 01-25-2004, 01:56 AM

Thanks, must be PP cause True Poker works fine, wish I woulda thought of that before I uninstalled all my new software. Hopefully they get this fixed soon.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:31 AM

but since I put new software on earlier I am not 100% sure

If you have a small hardrive and you just added a large program that could be the problem.How much extra space did you have on your hardive before you installed whatver program it was..

In my experience low resources are caused by lack of RAM to do many tasks at once,how many programs are you currently running -is it more than usual??
First Reboot and monitor your system resource meter as you boot up and open up programs..
You may also need to re-adjust your virtual memory settings.

Also in general if you dont have alot of RAM like 256 megs minimum or a limited hardrive u may want to limit the amount of crap that boots up automatically when you reboot your pc..go to run/type "msconfig"/use selective startup-go to last tab and uncheck programs that auto start-up

Also your virtual memory may be low for some reason

If the new software you downloaded was a hog-- thats the problem

If you have more poker rooms open than usual and you only have 128 megs or even 256 megs of RAM and you havent rebooted all day or 2 days thats also possibly it..

I just upgrade this workstation I had 512 megs now have 1000 megs.you can get by on 256 possibly but for most people I'd say get 512 now.If you are apoker-freak you need a robust sytem with alot of memory
Old 01-25-2004, 11:53 AM

The key is is not how much memory you have, but how you utilize that memory.

I have 256mb ram and am able to run adobe photoshop, word, and 3 poker clients with out any freezes. I am running Windows 2000 professional.

I am in the market for more memory, not neccesarily because I NEED it, just because it is nice to have.

Solution for your problem:

Get a better operating system!
Old 01-25-2004, 01:21 PM

Party support told me it's a memory leak problem thier software has with win 98.Sometimes it locks when opening table,but usualy I can play about two hours then need to reboot.