Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 06:31 PM

Default What do you do with that dud table???

I 4-8 table low limit NL, and theres always that one table where you can't get anything going. I may be up 3-4 buyins at all my other tables, but for some reason I always reload that one (or sometimes two) table. Most often its not a factor of being outplayed (because of the limits I'm on), just nothing going right. So what do you do, do you tough out those tables till something happens, or find a new one?

***edit: just personal opinions are fine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: What do you do with that dud table???

it's just variance

take a bunch of 1-hour samples of hands from PT, and look at your net BB/100 at the end. for limit it's going to be +10BB, -10BB, +4BB, -15BB, -5BB, etc... If I take four random samples (for four tables), I would expect to see a -10BB session (table) or something like that to show up at some expected rate.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:52 PM

I know poker is one long session and all. But usually if I'm at a table where nothing seems to go right it will probably stay like that the rest of the time I'm at that table. So unless it is an extremely juicy table I will move from that table if I get down 20 BB. If it's an awesome table with plenty of fish I will stick around because I have a greater likelihood of making up a large chunk of my deficit and possibly ending with a positive result. It's all in my head, I know, but confidence is a very important skill in poker that often gets overlooked.

I play limit but 20 BB is half of the amount that I buy-in with. NL is a different beast so I don't have much insight on that one.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:45 PM

I usually stay and suffer. It's sometimes too much effort to find a different table to play at. Then there is always the risk that the new table will be even worse.

While I'm suffering I hope that other players leave and new ones take their seats.

To ease the suffering I think of my money as a whole, with the combined total of all of my tables being the most important number in my head to generate positive thoughts.