Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Effective Odds?

I just bought TOP a few days ago and started reading through it. I just finished the chapter on effective odds, and am extremely confused. Why should one calculate effective odds rather than just pot odds for each street? For example, there is a four flush after the flop and 5SB in the pot and am last to act. Pot odds would say that we should call here, so what would be the point of calculating effective odds as well?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Effective Odds?

By effective odds, Sklansky is trying to point out the importance of those bets you have to pay on later streets to stay in the hand. So it's also essential that you mention how many players remain in the pot. Counting your effective odds is a little trickier when the pot is multiway (because you might have to call raises to stay in) so let's assume you're heads-up.

First, you'll have to call one small bet to see the turn. Then, if you miss, you'll probably have to call one big bet to see the river. Thus, you're real odds are 7-to-3.(The 5SB already in the pot plus 1BB from your opponent on the turn against your calls on the flop and the river)The probability
that you make your flush by the river is something like 1.8-to-1. so a call is correct anyway. Effective odds should be calculated when you have a strong draw on the flop(like the nut-flush draw). They are not so important when you hold
something like a small gut shot, which you are much more likely to fold immediately if you don't improve.

I just bought TOP myself and these ideas are new to me so if I didn't get it right, please correct.
Rozez
Old 05-19-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Effective Odds?

Well, usually if I have a flush draw, I would call if the pot is giving me 4-1. On the flop I may have the odds, but then on the turn I may not and be forced to throw it away. It seems to me that effective odds are not really necessary if you just use the pot odds. That probably just means that I do not understand the utility of effective odds and why it may be better to calculate than pot odds for each street.