Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Conservative Perception of Liberals

[ QUOTE ]
Blah blah blah blah blah....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a question for you.

What do liberals believe, and how do they plan to implement their beliefs?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kinda fun. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah blah blah blah. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Liberating almost. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Gryph
Old 10-20-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to Carnegie-Mellon for awhile and Harvard is considered a joke for this exact reason. They are real smart people but are isolationists and control freaks that try to pin constants to ease variables so much that it distorts reality. So their theories work great in the classroom, but fail miserably in the real world. They are very articulate as well. Works well in the law department but not in the other fields.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no head-hunter, but I'm under the impression (even from my own employer) that Harvard graduates are highly sought after in many fields; not just the law field (I work at a software company). So I can't imagine Harvard is truly a joke, unless I'm mistaken.

And I don't understand why Harvard's theories fail miserably in the 'real world'. Because it's been cited twice now, I'm rather curious as to what the 'real world' is. I don't want to completely destroy waxie's thread, so if someone is so inclined, they can PM me the answer. I really don't understand what people are referring to when they reference the 'real world' and why Harvard is outside of it. I grew up in the Boston area, and can indeed confirm (for those who haven't been) that it's an actual place and does exist in the real world (as I know it).

Sarcasm aside, I'm not getting this whole 'real world' concept.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: A Radio Interview I Heard Today

See option (a), above.
Can anyone translate?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: A Radio Interview I Heard Today

[ QUOTE ]
See option (a), above.
Can anyone translate?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, he called you stupid... I'd kick his ass.

-Gryph [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sarcasm aside, I'm not getting this whole 'real world' concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a specific reference to Harvard, but a "real world" concept to help you understand. After George McGovern left the US Senate, he ran a Bed and Breakfast. It failed.

McGovern then made a comment about how incredibly difficult it was to run a business because of all the red tape and taxes. This comes from a man who helped pass all those red tape and tax laws. McGovern said he wished that he knew then(when he was in the Senate) what he knows now. He said he'd be much more sympathetic to those who had to live under all these rules.

This is the concept of the "real world." How many people in the Senate or the Harvard faculty have any idea how to run a business? or deal with all the red tape and regulations that those people generally favor. When you are in an ivory tower things might sound good in theory, but in practice they can lead to ruin for people. I hope that makes you understand the "real world" concept. As someone esle pointed out, class room theories don't always work in the dreaded "real world."
Old 10-20-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the concept of the "real world." How many people in the Senate or the Harvard faculty have any idea how to run a business? or deal with all the red tape and regulations that those people generally favor. When you are in an ivory tower things might sound good in theory, but in practice they can lead to ruin for people. I hope that makes you understand the "real world" concept. As someone esle pointed out, class room theories don't always work in the dreaded "real world."

[/ QUOTE ]

So the 'real world' = entrepreneurial acumen?

I'm not sure what stops the Harvard faculty member from saying "the bed and breakfast owner is insulated in his business world, he doesn't understand the real world".

Put differently, what does a business owner, in his isolated ivory tower office, know of the real world - particle physics, micro biology, chemistry, and math?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I think you probably catch my drift: statements like "XYZ just isn't in the real world" seem to hinge (rather arbitrarily) on what defines the 'real world'. And I can't imagine there's any definitive answer to that.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the 'real world' = entrepreneurial acumen?

I'm not sure what stops the Harvard faculty member from saying "the bed and breakfast owner is insulated in his business world, he doesn't understand the real world".

[/ QUOTE ]

Because maybe the Bed and Breakfast owner doesn't have tenure? Maybe he or she actually has to perform well to survive, while the tenured professor doesn't?

Anyway, you are correct. There is no "real world." I made the whole thing up.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, you are correct. There is no "real world." I made the whole thing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you made it up; I'm just firmly convinced that the Harvard faculty, Podunk State alums, dairy farmers, Wall St. execs, homeless bums, diplomats, politicians, musicians, steel workers, etc. all exist in the 'real world'.