Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2005, 12:42 AM

Default A few observations about SH play

First off I am new to SH play. I recently discovered that SH PL HE fits my playing style very well. I have never cared for SH limit HE games, I discovered PL while clearing bonuses.

A few things I've noticed:

A lot of the same people play the games nightly. Noticing player tendencies is more important than usual.

Why the hell would you ever bet the smallest amount possible? If you're bluffing, bring it!!! If you're hungry for a call, chances are people that will call the minimum will call more than that.

My last point brings me to something that may be costing me calls on my value bets. I find myself 'potting it' every time I bet or raise when the pot is relatively small. I don't think I've ever bet the minimum at any time. Once the pot gets to a substantial size, sometimes I bet less than the size of the pot for a couple reasons; to possible get a call, and in case I feel my hand might not be best, I'd rather get an overcall from my opponent who has me beat than have to make a tougher decision, possibly for most of my chips.

Another thing I have noticed is people often play very strangely at times. For example I open-raised from the Button w/ AK and was called by both blinds. The SB minimum bets into me on an average looking flop (no ace or king). I pot it after the BB calls. Only the SB calls my raise. After a blank on the turn, he min bets again. I pot it again and this time he folds.

Now this wasn't an isolated incident. I see this kind of weird crap over and over. Thinking back to my full ring limit days, I remember seeing similar betting patterns, but there was no way to move them off their hand before the next card, as all I could do was make them put one more bet in. I found myself folding a lot of the situtions where some full blown testosterone driven aggression will win the pot for you.

I know this is a small sample, but here's a few stats if ya don't mind giving a little feedback:

Thanks,

PG