Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 03:37 PM

Default The 300 Big Bets Bankroll Theory

Does this 300 big bets (that a person with 300 dollars should be playing .50/1, pertain to limit and no limit or just limit?

I have $410.57 in my bankroll right now (from 20) and I'm not sure if it's time to move up to .50/1 NL. I feel confident enough, I think, from playing for a good deal of years as well as reading the posts on this site...however I don't want to put myself in a jam if a few bad beats happen or I don't adjust my game well.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: The 300 Big Bets Bankroll Theory

You have more than enough to play at .5/1...and not just because you have 400 BBs, but because a half-decent player can probably get by at .5/1 with only 100-150 BB. Anyways, take $100 to the .5/1 tables and give it a shot.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:53 PM

The 300 BB rule is for limit. The equivalent recommendation for no-limit is 20 buy-ins. So if you play $25 NL you'd want approximately $500. Whether or not your really need that much at the lower limits is a very debatable point, but that's the standard bankroll advice.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:54 PM

Oops, didn't notice he was playing NL.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:27 PM

So with $410 I should be playing .10/.25 or .25/.50 cent NL cash games?
Old 08-13-2005, 10:49 PM

Well, at ~$400 20 buyins would be of size $20 each. I think that's probably optimal for playing short-stacks at $0.25-0.50 blinds, but could probably be fine for playing a really short stack (if allowed) at $0.50-$1. If you're not confortable playing that short, then you can take occasional shots at the higher limit.

But keep in mind I'm a NL newbie who really buys into Miller's short-stack idea while learning. In fact I would suggest, if you're not sure about a new level, to definitely play short while learning. But it sounds like you're a lot more NL-experienced than I am so use your best judgment.

Hope the Gators can beat Tennessee -- this year and every year!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:55 AM

If you feel confident in your skills, and are willing to drop back down if you lose a bit, $410 for .5/1 nl is probably okay. I'd highly recommend you get another $100 or so first, though. 8 buyins is a bit on the low side, so you may want to play a bit tighter than you ususlly would, and follow other steps to lower short term variance. You really want to get to the full recommended 20 buyins however, especially if you aren't continually beating the games.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you feel confident in your skills, and are willing to drop back down if you lose a bit, $410 for .5/1 nl is probably okay. I'd highly recommend you get another $100 or so first, though. 8 buyins is a bit on the low side, so you may want to play a bit tighter than you ususlly would, and follow other steps to lower short term variance. You really want to get to the full recommended 20 buyins however, especially if you aren't continually beating the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't deposited since I started playing on PokerStars this summer (I played in the spring and cashed out a little bit of money) so I do have about a $200 backup if I fall down under $100. That should play into my decision?