Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Raymer issuing death threats?????

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you best not be talking about me. I'm just trying to figure out whats going on...

[/ QUOTE ]
He best not? Are you gonna internet flame him omg zerg rush!!!!

He's obviously talking about the guy bringing up Raymer's daughter at the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is pretty shitty bringing up some guys family in an open forum,

Obviously, he's not. Unless the rail at the WSOP is an "open forum"

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez...does every single thread here have to immediately deteriorate into secondary exchanges about the tone and exact wording of discussion on the initial topic? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Given that this topic has been posted about a bunch, and that it's been reported already elsewhere, seems reasonable for somebody to ask the question of "what is this?", but probably also worth remembering that, based on everything that's been seen publicly of Raymer to date, he's a classy, calm, smart guy, so presumably deserves the benefit of the doubt as to why he'd be overheard threatening some guy who was (reportedly) asking his wife for information about their daughter.

Seems obvious that Raymer felt threatened by whatever had been said by the guy, and while it's probably foolish of Raymer to engage with a potentially dangerous member of the crowd on something like this (since there are an unlimited number of nuts out there, and that's what security is for once somebody becomes "known" like Raymer), that's a separate issue from whether he was "out of line" or not on the substance. Which he presumably was not (at least absent a lot of additional info to suggest otherwise).
Old 07-13-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still trying to figure out how inquiring about someone's daughter is grounds for a death threat.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of a silly question, since "inquiring" obviously covers a lot of ground...if the guy talking to Raymer's wife was an elderly gentleman talking about his own grandkids, and asking Raymer's wife about her daughter in that nice, social way, that's a bit different from a "how much for the women? how much for the leeeetle girlll??" type line (can't remember which movie that's from, might be dan akroyd though...)

Given an "I'll kill you!" type response from what everyone thinks is a good guy (Raymer), seems like he gets the benefit of the doubt about whether he was threatening somebody's nice, innocent grandfather in this instance, right?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:22 PM

This guy didn't happen to be a gay-black prostitute, did he?

[ QUOTE ]
"how much for the women? how much for the leeeetle girlll??" type line (can't remember which movie that's from, might be dan akroyd though...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Blues Brothers trying to get the band back together. Good luck Greg. Do what you gotta do man. If you get the chance again, make sure you tell Mike "Thanks again for busting me.", when you put him out or double up off him.

Nothing substantial to add, except to say I would have done the exact same thing if someone had scared my wife in that manner about my kids.
(except I would have completely tilted, which is one of the many many many reasons why Fossil man is a better poker player than I).
Go get 'em Greg! All the guys in my office are rooting for you.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still trying to figure out how inquiring about someone's daughter is grounds for a death threat.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait till you have a daughter and see what happens if a stranger approaches you and starts asking questions about her. A death threat is about as mild a response as you can expect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-13-2005, 03:52 PM

As poker's popularity has grown, it's bound to have attracted some stalkers and/or other sick freaks like this guy.

Raymer's actions were totally justifiable. Hell, if somebody started asking questions like that about my family, I'd have gone after him right then and there.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Raymer we are rooting for you, We support you.

Job well done, Raymer.
We are rooting for you to win.
We support your action.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:54 PM

starting to see the ugly side of poker fame - successful players become a target for crap like this just like a pro athlete -

if he messes with your family, give me a call - I'll help you bury the bodies - I like to keep a couple spare holes dug in the NV desert just for those times when I'm in a hurry [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

pax and GL
RB
Old 07-13-2005, 03:58 PM

If anyone f's with my family I'll kill them also.

I feel sorry for you, Greg, that you had to put up with this
bs in the middle of the event. Why didn't they throw this a-hole out of the Rio? Go get'em today.

Bruce
Closed Thread