Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 12:55 AM

Default Interesting Hand from tonights Super Tuesday

This hand is bothering me a lot...I want to give a little background on the hand though. I was dealt 88, TT, AJ, TT, AK on 5 consecutive, or near consecutive hands. I was raising, and taking the blinds on those except for the AJ which I was called, flopped an A and took it down, and the TT which I just limped and folded when a couple overs hit. Which brings us to this hand...the AK...I had figured that since I had been raising so often, someone was going to repop me for quite a bit with a large range of hands, so I can nail them...what do you think?

#Game No : 1272905264
***** Hand History for Game 1272905264 *****
NL Hold'em Trny:7731702 Level:5 Blinds (50/100) - Tuesday, December 07, 22:20:54 EDT 2004
Table Super Tuesday(152803) Table #21 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: mattyp21 ( $3125 )
Seat 2: WebGuySteve ( $2442 )
Seat 3: MrOrgasm ( $820 )
Seat 5: manpak ( $3015 )
Seat 6: brutos ( $3660 )
Seat 8: ChrisMcB ( $660 )
Seat 10: LSS3655 ( $1493 )
Seat 9: ShortBusGuy ( $2472 )
Seat 7: boesel32 ( $1010 )
Trny:7731702 Level:5
Blinds (50/100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to WebGuySteve [ Ks Ac ]
LSS3655 folds.
mattyp21 folds.
WebGuySteve raises [300].
MrOrgasm folds.
manpak raises [2900].
brutos folds.
boesel32 folds.
ChrisMcB folds.
Hanny has joined the table.
Player Hanny has been seated on table Super Tuesday(152803) Table #40 table
ShortBusGuy folds.
WebGuySteve is all-In.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2c, Ah, 9d ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 3c ]
** Dealing River ** [ As ]
UR A F A G WEB GUY
manpak shows [ Kd, Kc ] two pairs, aces and kings.
WebGuySteve shows [ Ks, Ac ] three of a kind, aces.
manpak wins 458 chips from side pot #1 with two pairs, aces and kings.
WebGuySteve wins 5034 chips from the main pot with three of a kind, aces.
whoops
sorry
Game #1272909527 starts.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Interesting Hand from tonights Super Tuesday

WebGuySteve-

Looks good to me.

AA/KK is a very small portion of the opponent's range of hands here, and most players will not push for 10x the previous raise with AA/KK so you will rarely be dominated. So, you'll either be a little behind (QQ-22) or way ahead (Ax, KQ) the vast majority of the time.

Your laggish image makes pushing with any Ax much more likely so I think it is an easy call.

Later,
Che
Old 12-08-2004, 02:26 AM

Thanks Che, I liked my call there as well, but, I have a very hard time laying down AK, so I didn't know if this was one of those times I should have laid it down, glad you agree with me.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:49 AM

I think you got just what you planned for, and executed. It just happened to be that someone had one of the few hands on the higher range of hands that you anticipated.

I've been in situations where I 'planned' something based on what I thought my table image was... and then I wussed out when the situation came and kicked myself for it.

BAS
Old 12-08-2004, 05:00 AM

I'm confused... If you don't lay down AK here then do you ever lay down AKo preflop to someone that comes over the top that has you covered? You're making a call where you expect to be at least a slight underdog and you're not getting good pot odds. If you fold you're still in good shape.

Unless you have a strong read that you're getting reraised with a hand you dominate then this seems like a time to fold.

If I'm missing something please explain.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:06 AM

You're missing the fact that he had been raising up a storm and therefore was much more likely than normal to be re-popped by a weak hand.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:50 AM

If you just cant let go of AKo preflop well......I really cant relate to that. Maybe Im just bitter bc my KK just got sucked out on by AKo iunno. AK is NOT a really strong CALLING hand for all your chips. You are basically hoping to be a small dog correct?? I dont see how this is a desirable prospect for an above avg player but we have argued the point extensively. I like to be the aggressor with AK and at least have some folding equity with the all in play. Remember against hands like J-J or QQ this ISNT A REAL COINFLIP it is 43-57. And against AA your screwed and KK screwed to 3 outs or a straight. I never have understood why players have such a hard time mucking an AK and I dont think I ever will.. at least not while it is still relatively early in a tourney and they have a healthy stack.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:18 PM

Zaxx...this is why...

[ QUOTE ]
You're missing the fact that he had been raising up a storm and therefore was much more likely than normal to be re-popped by a weak hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt that there was a large range of hands he could be reraising with. It was a situation I had anticipated, and it happened. It just so happened to be a time when he had a stellar hand. I almost feel I might get reraised here with any 2 because it looked like I was just walking away with the blinds.