Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 07:48 AM

Default Really unsure how to play this

UTG is unknown.
utg+1 is 51.98/11.86/1.98 over 177 hands.
utg+2 is 71.3/14.78/1.88 over 115 hands.

Really unsure what to do in this sort of situation. It seems betting out on the flop might have been best in retrospect to protect my hand. What do you guys think.

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.17 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero folds.

River: (9.17 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 9.17 BB.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Really unsure how to play this

Yea, bet the flop hoping for it to be raised. You want people out of this hand. You have odds to call the turn with Ts and Js (discounted) and the 9s for a straight.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:56 AM

my problem here was that these guys are so loose calling, that I didn't feel like theyd hesitate to coldcall on the flop, thus not protecting my hand. So I waited til the turn to try to figure out what to do, and well as you can see....really screwed up the hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:58 AM

I agree with Womble. Betting and expecting a raise lowers makes a call v. unprofitable for thos yet to act. If there is a time to bet TPGK w/ a BDFD it's on the flop.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:17 AM

Do you really dislike the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? That card sure scared you to death. You realize you have Top pair mediocre kicker as well as a gutshot to a one card str8? Even if you are behind here I think you have roughly 4.5 outs. Very difficult spot on the flop against an unknown pfr but I would bet and hope for UTG to raise. Before I went on vacation last week there was a thread saying that this wasn't very good strategy but I would suggest it here.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my problem here was that these guys are so loose calling, that I didn't feel like theyd hesitate to coldcall on the flop, thus not protecting my hand. So I waited til the turn to try to figure out what to do, and well as you can see....really screwed up the hand.

[/ QUOTE ] You do realize that when you try to protect your hand you want them to make incorrect calls not correct folds?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:29 PM

I don't get teh turn fold at all. You have TP, the villian is gonna keep on firing with overs here a fair amount, and this turn is pretty safe. You probably have the best hand, and you still have a draw to a gutshot. THis is a really weak turn fold

I like how some people have advocated betting the flop and hoping for a raise, that works, but as you played it, I'd lead towards donking the turn. You have TP here, I want to go to a showdown with it
Old 12-19-2005, 04:39 PM

The turn fold is pretty bad. I'd probably c/r this on the flop or turn. Or you could c/c and bet the river.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:42 PM

yeh, I can see my mistake. I keep thinking of ways to make them fold, fold being the key word and not getting them to make incorrect calls. Thanks.