Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Quirky blind steal battle - A9o

[ QUOTE ]
Your giving him all the control in his hand, he's always going to be betting the river with better hands and checking through worse ones.

This is exactly why I hate taking my foot off the peddle, his little flop charade is not going to give him the hand; but thats just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's alright for him to have control here. We're weak as all get-out. Lead just doesn't do much for us.

If we didn't have two weak draws here I'd definitely bet/fold the turn and check behind the river, but I do NOT want to pay two with our hand, and this is the sorta villian who could make that C/R.

The only thing betting does, IMO, is protect us from someone who has 2-6 outs. In this small pot I'm willing to give up that so I don't pay two with this weak draw.

Edit: And it also protects us from annoying bluffs, which this villian also seems capable of.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:36 AM

I like the check here as well. Arturiusx, you're most certainly right in saying that we give him some control with his hand, but I feel like you aren't giving enough consideration to the fact that our hand really isnt all that great either, at least for the moment; it'll probably be expensive to improve, which I think we need to keep repeating to ourselves when we are looking for the right solution here.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:54 AM

Hmm. I'm thinking that if we're ahead, there's a good chance on this board that Villain has a fair number of outs against us. And if he has a fair number of outs (or even if he just thinks he does), it seems like there's a good chance we're getting checkraised again.

If we're behind, we're also probably getting checkraised.

If Villain has four outs and complete garbage, then I guess maybe a bet will take it down.

But a check could encourage BB to bet whatever he has on the river, at which point we can decide whether to call or raise, depending on how much we like the river card. I'd rather have Villain stay in for free with a 4-outer if he'll fire with it on the river unimproved.

The main potential advantage to betting that I see is that Villain might charge himself 2 BBs to see the river with a hand like Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], which would be more profitable for us than checking and snapping off a 1 BB pure bluff from Villain on the river (well, it's more profitable so long as we don't let Villain steal the pot from us on the river following a turn checkraise).

I don't really know where we stand on the turn, though (it's quite possible we're the one who is drawing).

I think I like checking the turn and then calling unimproved on the river.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:40 AM

checking the turn and calling the river UI is the way to go. i think he goes for the back to back c/r quite often here, don't put yourself in such a tough spot when you can guarantee a 1 bb showdown.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:51 AM

Im checking this, i dont want to get raised on a hand we may be ahead on or have outs to improve to the best hand.

Getting C/r twice sucks. I'm sure to see a SD for 1more bet which is great and i get to see what he has(this isnt a great reason but it sure is a bonus).

Without the draws i can bet, but now with them if i bet i feel obliged to call and i dont want to pay 2BBs!

Pots small and i dont think giving him free cards is a major error.

Stellar you're reads still confuse me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 10:01 AM

Bets, planning to check behind on the river if a blank hits.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:02 AM

Not only does checking prevent you from getting check/raised, but it also induces a bluff by him on the river, which he will probaly take. If he is behind, he may not call your turn bet, but will give you the money on the river. If you are behind, there is no reason to bet the turn. On top of all this, if you improve, you can pop him on the river.

Edit: I guess an argument for betting could be betting as a form of inducing a bluff. If he will go for the double check raise with air, betting could allow you to get a lot more of his money when he is behind, and since you have so many outs, it wouldn't hurt all that much if you were behind.

I still think checking is probably best though.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but it also induces a bluff by him on the river,

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian c/r's often but bets relatively little. Why does everyone want to check to induce a bluff against this player description? If he is often checkraising with air or weak draws why would our response be to give free cards and then hope he bluffs?

I also think that the double c/r is far from a forgone conclusion here. Yes hes more likely than most to try it, but hes doing it with junk often too meaning that we have the best hand quite often in this spot.

For the people who want to bet the turn, why not 3bet the flop? He calls with any 2 preflop, the flop likely missed him and a c/r from this guy on a drawy flop shouldnt scare us that much if at all. This game is four handed, I think we really need to start punishing him on flops when our hand compares favorably to his range and we have position. If I thought he was more likely to contine bluffs on latter streets I would be much more inclined to call down.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:02 AM

Seems to me like the only reason to bet if he won't fold, I'm not sure how often you mean he folds post-flop with your comment, would be as a value-bet or for a free-showdown. Add the fact that he likes to check-raise the turn... then I don't like betting against this player.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:36 AM

i know no one ever wants to give someone a free card, but i think he'll often charge himself here by bluffing the river anyways. while i admit i didn't put much weight into the c/r often but betting relatively little thing, i think it's still unlikely that a player like this doesn't bet the river after the turn gets checked through. he's so untrustworthy that i don't feel totally comfortable folding on the river even if he c/r's the turn, but my hand is definitely not strong enough for me to want to give him the option of putting a bunch of BB in on the big streets. of course we don't know he's going to checkraise, but after he checks again on that card it seems like a c/r is pretty obvious from this guy. look at the board... i know he c/r's a lot but that turn card really wasn't a good one.

i wouldn't 3-bet the flop against this player because it sounds like he'll glady c/r the turn, and now you're definitely putting in too many bets unnecessarily. if he's going to go for another c/r on the turn often, i can call the flop c/r then decide whether i want two bets to go in on the turn when i see what falls... calling usually keeps you in control of the hand anyways.