Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 02:14 AM

Default 5-10 hand

For some reason everyone in this hand has about 1250. Normally I would take this as a sign that poker is rigged, but today I still liked my chances. Maybe it was something I ate.

I am in MP with K J . UTG and UTG+1 limp, a folder, then I join the limp parade. Folds to the SB who calls, BB checks. Sweet, my preflop strength bought me the button.

Flop 6 6 5

Even better. I have a nice draw and the best position. Let's see if I can make anything of this.

Check around.

Turn 3.

Made my flush! Check to me, I check. You can't be too careful.

River A of nothing.

BB bets $20 into this massive pot. Fold to me, and I think my hand might be good. So I raise $45. Let's see him handle that pressure. He is probably thinking I am getting out of line again. He did see me bluff all my chips into a set about 183 hands ago. I am pretty sure he remembers that more than the 180 or so folds since then.

He reraises me 100. I injure myself with the force of my fold.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: 5-10 hand

I just dont get why you raised the river then?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:34 AM

Because I expected a crying call from worse hands.

If I thought he was weak I might bluff this way, but I did not think that. I thought he had something, this isn't how he leads a bluff.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:41 AM

If you don't bet the flop, please bet the turn...you need to define people's hands and build a pot. With the board already paired, there are a ton of cards that you'd hate to see on 5th. Betting on 4th also will allow you to see who is drawing, and who is strong. With a paired board, a possible straight flush, and the A high flush possibility, BB's bet looks a little suspicious (has he done this before?), and I think a raise is certainly in order. His reraise most likely means that you're beat, but if you had bet before the river, I think you would've had a lot more control over this hand.

--Nino
Old 02-08-2005, 04:32 AM

Betting the turn to define people's hands seems like no reason at all. I am not seeking information, and am not overly concerned I will make a large mistake with a misread against this field. I also am not real interested in building much of a pot, as I am behind any big pot I play.

Betting for value is a good reason to bet, since there are certainly plenty of rivers I don't want. As it happened, I was attempting extract from 4 hands I read for nothing. This is why I checked behind. A bad card for me falls about 39% of the time. Though a large % of that time an extra heart does not cost me the current pot. There is only 50 in the pot now, and I was hoping to get another 80-100 out of someone who had no business giving me anything. As it played out, I didn't even get to raise that much, and didn't see the showdown.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:47 AM

you are not giving yourself a chance to win a big pot by checking through on the turn. if the board wasnt paired then slowplaying here would be more reasonable, but the fact that the board is paired will deter excessive action from weaker hands. also, you need to protect against possible Ah draws. checking this turn is very weak.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:49 AM

That is because I have no chance to win a big pot.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:52 PM

"A bad card for me falls about 39% of the time."

How do you know you're not already behind? Now add the 39%, and things look even more grim.

"That is because I have no chance to win a big pot."

I'm not saying that you need to make this a BIG pot, I'm saying that you need to make it A pot at all. So far it is just the blinds. If you bet the turn and get called or raised, the pot begins to build and you can find out where you are. By waiting until the river, you have no idea where you stand, and a ton a raising/reraising starts to occur in a small pot in which you are clueless and either way ahead or way behind. There are obviously no hard fast rules in which to play certain hands, I'm just strongly advocating betting the turn for value as well as information. Since you checked every street, you might as well just call the river bet because BB could be trapping with a boat/straight flush/or A high flush...and apparently keeping the pot small isn't a problem anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-Nino
Old 02-08-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By waiting until the river, you have no idea where you stand, and a ton a raising/reraising starts to occur in a small pot in which you are clueless and either way ahead or way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I explained, I was not concerned about this against these players. I didn't need to bet to find out anything here. If a ton of raising occured in this small pot I would certainly not be clueless as to where I stand. The only reason to bet would be for value. Not to build a pot, since any big pot I play I lose, and not for information, becauseI don't need it bad enough to pay money for it.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:00 AM

Anybody raise this preflop?

Late position - two limpers in front, etc.