Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 03:48 PM

Default O8 6 max

what changes in your starting standards do you make for these games. i have heard that in short handed games that you should bring it in with a raise but in the games i play its not likely to get the pot heads up or anything. most of the time there are 4-6 people taking a flop. so far i have just played the same quality hands that i played before but i think that i might do better loosening up a bit but how much
Old 01-08-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: O8 6 max

awm - You evidently want to know what specific hands you should be seeing the flop with in a six handed game.

There is not simply one single style of play that is successful. A style that works well in loose games may not work well in tight games. A style that works well in passive games may not work well in aggressive games.

This is further complicated by the fact that some games are loose before the flop but then very tight after the flop. Similarly, games that are passive before the flop may become very aggressive after the flop, or after the turn. It just depends on your opponents.

In general, while learning Omaha-8 you might avoid many difficulties by playing tightly before the flop and only drawing to the nuts after the flop, while observing very carefully what your various opponents are doing and thinking about how you can adapt this tight strategy to take advantage of their mistakes.

Roughly, the chance of an opponent having been dealt two cards of a particular two ranks in a six handed game is about 2/3 what it is in a nine handed game. Not exactly, but that’s reasonably close enough to help you adjust your play when your nine handed game drops to six players.

But what starting hands should you play in a six handed game? What starting hands should you call a double bet with? The answers to questions like these really depend on how your opponents are playing. And they’re not all playing the same.

Just my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
i think that i might do better loosening up a bit but how much

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands specifically are you seeing the flop with now?

Buzz