Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Am I getting soft or what?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

No particular reads on anyone at this point.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>,

Flop: (9 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.50 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>
Old 06-28-2004, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Am I getting soft or what?

I raise on the turn or river, about 90% it's the turn. You opponent doesn't have a queen...

Guido
Old 06-28-2004, 04:22 AM

I agree. Sb would have waited until the turn to check raise if he had a Q. I put him on a pocket pair.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:59 AM

You let A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6x, check/raise you without raising the turn, shame.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 06-28-2004, 09:40 AM

i would have 3 bet flop, raised turn. if I was still getting played back at... i would check call river.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:42 AM

Our hero has the Ah.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:40 AM

Hi asdf,

I, for one, do not think that the line you chose to take on this hand was all that bad. Trying to put people on hands at the low limits is almost always futile. I've seen plenty of fishies check-raise their Queen on this Flop. If you call the Flop and then raise the Turn, you're getting 3-bet by a Queen, and you may even lose a bet from someone who is completely bluffing and would've bluffed again on the River.

I don't think that calling the Flop planning to raise the Turn is a bad idea, either. What I do in these types of situations is almost always determined by the read I have on the player. Against an unknown, I tend to take the more conservative route; discretion is the better part of valor.

-Brian
Old 06-28-2004, 10:51 AM

I have no problem with the way you played this hand.

A year ago, I would have put in another raise. Now, I see way more fastplaying. You are either way ahead, and can let him bet himself out of his money, or way behind, and can't stand a reraise.

Another very good option is to raise the turn and fold to a threebet. I don't like reraising on the flop because you open yourself up to another turn checkraise.

-Michael
Old 06-28-2004, 02:55 PM

I don't understand how you can make this assumption not knowing anything about the player. At this limit, he could just be a straight forward player betting his queen, he could have a pocket pair &amp; possibly hit a set, he could have A6, or he could be betting a flush draw. You loose to a Q, set or flush. I would just call him down. I minimize my loss or still see good return if he is betting with minimal hand as I don't scare him off.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:05 PM

I would probably have three-bet the flop rather than waiting and raising the turn. However, most people here seem to be advocating the turn raise. If it gets capped, I'll probably call it down. If he calls and then bets out the turn, which to me looks like he wants to be raised, I may just call it down.

I like the flop three-bet b/c if he's semi-bluffing the hearts I charge the max. However, if I then get check-raised on the turn I'm calling it down but not expecting to win it against most straightforward players.

ElSapo