Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Real Poker II: The Play of Hands

Real Poker II: The Play of Hands by Roy Cooke & John Bond

I am extremely impressed with this book. This is a collection of Cooke’s Play of Hand columns (1992-1999) from Card Player magazine which deals exclusively with Limit Hold’em. It is truly insightful to step inside of Cooke’s head and have the opportunity to experience an expert player’s thought process. The book is comprised of short essays, each in which he walks you through the play of a particular hand. Along the way, he examines the situation and various scenarios, paying close attention to kinds of questions you should be considering while at the table. The book is split up into 4 sections: Protecting your hand, Odds, Hand Reading, and Situational Adjustments. Real Poker II is entertaining and a smooth read.

I highly recommend the book for players who have already read Theory of Poker, Small Stakes Hold’em, and Weighing the Odds in Hold’em Poker. I think it is nice to have read Hold’em Poker for Advanced Players and Inside the Poker Mind before reading Real Poker II, but it is not completely necessary. It is excellent for the player who is looking step up their game and make the move beyond the low limits up to the middle limits. It will help players move past ABC poker to Real Poker and thoroughly improve your decision making process.

I am adding this to the curriculum that I recommend to friends who are getting started in Limit Hold’em. Currently, that list goes as follows in the order I feel they should be read.

1. Theory of Poker
1. Small Stakes Hold’em
2. Weighing the Odds in Hold’em Poker
3. Hold’em Poker for Advanced Players
4. Inside the Poker Mind
5. Real Poker II
6. How Good is Your Limit Hold’em (I have not read it yet, but I place it here due to good friends’ opinions)
7. Middle Limit Hold’em Poker
Old 12-17-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Real Poker II: The Play of Hands

I here a lot about Real Poker II but what about
Real Poker I; is it any good?

Thanks for your list.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RP I held both hand essays and misc essays. The hand essays were reprinted (along with some more hands) in RP II.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:58 PM

Real Poker 1 is out of print and hard to find. I've tried to track down a copy a couple times and never been successful (unless I was willing to spend well over $100, which seems unreasonable). Many of the essays in RP1 are also in RP2.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:08 PM

I always enjoy Roy Cooke's articles in Card Player. He writes a ton of good stuff that all players should be interested in. I'm sure he has enough quality articles by now to publish Real Poker III. I know I'd buy one the first day it comes out.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always enjoy Roy Cooke's articles in Card Player. He writes a ton of good stuff that all players should be interested in. I'm sure he has enough quality articles by now to publish Real Poker III. I know I'd buy one the first day it comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi King.

I do think Roy is bringing one out in 2006. I received an article from Conjelco a few weeks back, and they had Real Poker 3 listed to come out next year, along with the Bill Chen math book.

PJS
Old 12-18-2005, 11:22 AM

Thank you. I'm looking forward to both of those books.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your list.

[/ QUOTE ]
I bought Real Poker 1 for $125. I just had to have it after reading Real Poker 11, which IMO is one of the best poker books you can read. I liked Real Poker 1, and I'm glad I bought it, but I must admit i liked Real Poker 11 better. Anways I am a big fan of Roy Cooke, and if you are addicted to reading poker books like I am, then I suggest you buy Real Poker 1, you will enjoy it.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought Real Poker 1 for $125

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get it from? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the web. I even checked out Ebay with no luck. I doubt I'll pay $125 for it but if its a reasonable price I would be more than glad to get it.