Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Brief FW NL tourney report...

Well this was my first entry into a live NL tourney. I am looking forward to playing in the WSOP next year and wanted some live tourney experience before heading out to Vegas the end of June.

Anyway, overall it was an interesting day although the cards didn't go my way. A buddy played in the Limit O8 tourney on Monday and gave me a heads up that the field was going to be capped at 1100-1200 and they were IN FACT taking preregistrations for the event.

So I headed to FW Tuesday night paid my fee and got my table assignment....41-6, entry 460 at 9:30pm Tuesday. I was in the foyer(sp) and it was surprisingly warm. Infact by 11:30 is was down right hot the sun was unbareable.

Well got to my table around 9:30am picked up my freebee and hung around with 1000 other for the tourney to start. Slowly our table filled up. A nice mix of players, a talkative type that couldn't miss. A Vegas Midstakes player that won the limit event last year and a few newbies to live tourney poker like myself.

Case in point: first hand (blinds 25-25) folded to a new player who pushes out a 100 chip. Folded around to the SB who checks and the BB checks. The guy is confused

Player:"why didn't they call my raise?"
Dealer:"Sir, the 100 is only a call unless you VERBALLY declare a raise to 100"
Player:"Oh ok.. hmm..."

Flop comes suited in clubs. SB bets out 150, Newbie calls.

Turn is a blank, SB bets out 600, newbie pushes and the SB thinks and thinks and says: "Well its the first hand but I can't lay this down" He calls the allin and flips over 69s in clubs for the flopped flush. The Newbie tables QQ without the Q of clubs. Whoops!

Valuable lesson learned ALWAYS DECLARE YOUR ACTION!

2 hands later I get KK in my BB, the newly doubled button limps, SB checks and I raise to 100. Button Calls, SB folds.

Flop comes T high with 2 clubs I bet out 225, Button Calls. I put him on a flush draw or possibly a T like JT or QTx.

Turn comes As. I bet out 250, he thinks and calls. Still put him squarely on a flush draw.

River is a duece, there is now 2 ducks on board but now flush. I check, he checks and my K's and 2's lose to his A4s in Clubs A's and 2's. I am not sure he would've called a river bet but I couldn't bring myself to fire another barrel... Yuck!

I was down to 950 or so in chips and managed to waver up and down from between 700-1100 for the next 50 min.

Never was able to get back to a reasonable stack. I had 750 in chip near the end of the 25/50 level and raised my AA to 200, standard raise at this table and couldn't get any action. Anyone, limp here or push?? I won the blinds.

Sat through 2 orbits with my remaining 800 in chips and was only able to take the blinds 1 time with AJs and no callers, although the huge big stack (~6-7k) thought about calling my push from the BB with 67x that he showed.

Finally I pushed my 55 all in and ran into KK and busted 1/2 way through the 50/100 level.

Overall impressions were good. Play was pretty good with very few bad beats. The big stack got lucky and was willing to gamble and really had his run of the table. He played aggressive poker and had the cards and chips to back it up.

I had a fun time but really never got things going.

Hotrod