Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Did I do this right? First O8 Hand Post

I don't really have reads...this table hasn't been raising much pre flop but I am in the big blind and have a 3-4 so i figured why not?? I got a perfect flop for what I had.

My question concerns the turn and river play. If I fear I am being quartered, or I know I only really have a shot at the low (Full house is possibility, even if a wheel were to hit on the river) is it stupid to cap the pot? Do I lose money to the High winner because of the possibility of being quartered?

I don't know how far to take nut lows in this game. Nut highs, cap every time, yeah. But what do I do with a nut low??

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.05.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (14.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (14.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (26.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 43.20 BB
Old 08-15-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Did I do this right? First O8 Hand Post

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really have reads...this table hasn't been raising much pre flop but I am in the big blind and have a 3-4 so i figured why not?? I got a perfect flop for what I had.

My question concerns the turn and river play. If I fear I am being quartered, or I know I only really have a shot at the low (Full house is possibility, even if a wheel were to hit on the river) is it stupid to cap the pot? Do I lose money to the High winner because of the possibility of being quartered?

I don't know how far to take nut lows in this game. Nut highs, cap every time, yeah. But what do I do with a nut low??

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.05.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (14.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (14.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (26.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 43.20 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think A22 is the perfect flop for an AQ34 hand, then you need to go read your books. Looks to me like you're drawing for half at best straight off the bat.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:31 AM

I meant perfect flop for the low possibility.

Check out the limit I am playing. Almost every time a nut low is made, I'm profitting because therer are 6 people seeing the flop. It's hilarious how much dead money is in every pot because people don't understand that Omaha is a NUTS game.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Check out the limit I am playing. Almost every time a nut low is made, I'm profitting because therer are 6 people seeing the flop. It's hilarious how much dead money is in every pot because people don't understand that Omaha is a NUTS game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Including you, evidently.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:50 AM

Edit, gonna redo this post.

Ribbo: This is my very first session playing O8 for 'real', as in not a .02/.04 game where I was learning the rules. I'm only at 128 hands, so win rate etc is useless.

However, my VPIP for non-blinds is currently 13%. Small blinds, it's 25%.
Pots won at showdown: 11 out of 11 (this includes Quartering though, which happened in this hand, and only 2 scoops...so I won 2.25+8(1/2), or 6.25 full pots out of 11 showdowns (though I never had a Muck in showdown so far)

I know this sample and all is stupidly small, but I am posting it to show you that I'm not some idiot fish who is playing hands that won't win a high or a low in my first session.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:15 AM

These bets and raises aren't bad, since he's got
1) Great equity
2) He's getting more than paid off to get half the pot

Maybe you could enlighten us by actually analyzing and critiquing his play, rather than quoting individual lines and mocking him like some 12 year old jackoff, ribbo. What does sitting back and posting like that accomplish?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Way to be an [censored], Ribbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't being an ass. He was critiquing the play. If this bothers you, then you probably should go to a forum where the only response allowed is "Awesome hand man! Group Hug!!!

[ QUOTE ]
These bets and raises aren't bad, since he's got
1) Great equity
2) He's getting more than paid off to get half the pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong Ribbo, but I believe his beef with the hand was on the flop. He's raising the flop with 16 outs for half-equity at best. The way I understand it, you should be pumping the pot with made hands and strong draws on both ends, not just for low.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:36 AM

The problem with this hand is that it worked out. Generally the flop raise is horrible because it forces the field to call 2 bets cold on each street when you are drawing for half the pot (a wheel is ~never good for high here). These players are your only source of profit.

The turn is a good raise in this game.

The river is inexperience, or simply exploiting the low limit. Hard to say. The deuce is always out, and 3-betting lets the loose river callers get away from low-type hands that will pay you off when you only have half the pot, hopefully.

At some of the more ridiculous .5/1 tables, bad raises become +EV raises with several coldcallers behind, so it's difficult to critique hands without your honest thought process.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Including you, evidently.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could you consider this "critiquing someone's play?"

Harsh but honest and helpful comments are fine. This is neither.

There's a huge difference between asking for civility and going to an "awesome hand dude" forum.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think A22 is the perfect flop for an AQ34 hand, then you need to go read your books. Looks to me like you're drawing for half at best straight off the bat.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like pretty solid critique to me.