Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 06:18 AM

Default pot odds..real beginner question

hey!

im a beginner and i need help [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

what are the pot odds for example a gutshot draw when only one card will come, cause i think im not gonna have the odds for calling the river to the turn.

the pot odds for two cards to come (turn and river) is 10.5-1..i will loose 10.5 times but profit the elevent time therefore i need the pot to lay over 10.5?

does someone have a link for these types of pot odds?

and what are the "standard" situations when i only will count the "one card to come" pot odds?

If i have 1 out to win the pot i need the pot to be 22.5-1 (turn and river) but i need the pot odds to be 45-1 if i onle gonna see one card? why is that?

thanks in advance and let the wine flow!
Old 11-13-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: pot odds..real beginner question

Here is one link. There are many links on the internet so you may find one you like better but this is pretty decent. http://www.turningriver.com/texas-holdem-drawing-odds

As you will see in the link the odds of catching your gut shot with one card to come is 10.5 to and with 2 cards to come it is about 5 to 1.

You would use the 2 cards to come to see if it is worth staying to the river from the flop on. Generally you need to make that decsion card by card so the 1 card to come tends to be more useful in my opinion.

The simple answer to your question about needing 22.5 to 1(2 card) to vs the 45 to 1 ( 1 card) is that with 2 cards to come you have twice as many chances to hit.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: pot odds..real beginner question

Simple. With one card to come on the river, you have seen 6 cards, 2 in your hand, 4 on the board. If you have a gutshot draw with no flush possible, 4 cards make your hand, 42 do not.

42/4 = 10.5