Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: NL50 QQ .. did I hit the turn or not?

Holy cow, these are some phenomenal replies! Thanks, folks. I'll pour over these and respond after I've had some time to really think things over. Ya'll are awesome.

-poincaraux
Old 12-06-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When the turn came, I figured the only hand that could reasonably be ahead of me at this point was KK. Yes? No?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, why on earth did u push then? Value bet it. Value bet. Stickie note on my comp says VB, VB, VB. You're missing alot of value here most of the time. Because all you end up with are folds.

Raise more preflop from the SB. I'm not even CB'ing that flop more times than not into two callers, but the turn worked out for you....then you had to go and mess it up by pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do we really want to value bet this hand? With three connected broadways out there, there are a lot of possibilities for other people to catch a straight.

I generally am very aggressive with something like this.

My typical line is to check-raise, since with a big board most people will show some aggression.

Good/bad?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:33 PM

Bet enough to ruin any draws but NOT enough to scare away TPTK or similar. No flushy, so AT or KK (T9? nah) will re-raise less than a full push. Call any AI.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:46 PM

Default A clinic for poincaraux

First, thanks for the great responses. Ya'll are awesome. It took me a while to get the time to read through everything, so I'll just recap and respond. Then, I'll print this out for my records. It seems like this stuff is just obvious to the better players here, but it obviously wasn't so obvious to me.

I'll tackle things in order here.

Preflop:

Hero ($104.25)
UTG ($128.64)
MP ($43.12)
CO ($0)
Button ($105.53)
SB ($47.50)

Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $1</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, UTG calls $3.50, MP folds, Button calls $3.

I raised when it got to me, but less than a pot-sized raise. I figured it was a reasonable sized raise, and I don't want to raise too much out of position. My general thinking is that I can raise more in position because I'll have the advantage throughout the rest of the hand. ajmargarine says I've got it completely backwards. Does this sound like a reasonable rephrasing of what he wrote: I should raise more with OOP hands and raise with more in-position hands. When I'm OOP, people behind me will want to play a larger range of hands. I want to raise enough that they're making a significant mistake if their range is too wide. This has the added benefit of making it easier for me to read them throughout the rest of the hand. pokernose made this point as well, and pointed out that the pot's big enough that I wouldn't mind taking it down PF.

Flop: ($13.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, UTG calls $10, Button calls $10.

ajmargarine mentions that he's checking more often than CBing with this flop and two callers. So am I. Flop seems fine.

Turn: ($43.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero pushes</font>

This is where my play gets worse and the comments get better. I didn't mindlessly push; I had my reasons .. it just turns out that they were bad reasons. I spelled them out earlier. The right answer boils down to this: If I push, the only hands that call me for sure are hands that are way ahead of me (AT, 22, KK). I have a solid hand here. I'm going to bet. Given the stack sizes, my money's probably going in the middle against those hands no matter what (see sidenote). So, instead of being a dummy, I'd like to maximize my chances of getting other people's money when I'm ahead. Those hands include AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, KT, JT, etc. I don't want to price the draws in, though, so I need to bet such that 1) they might call 2) they'll be wrong to call.

That means that I need to value bet, something that I'm still learning about. The size of a VB should be very similar to the size of a CB, otherwise it will be too obvious and easy to exploit. I'm comfortable with a CBing 2/3 of the pot on the flop, so that's a good size for a VB there as well. I get too many callers/raisers when I bet 1/2 of the pot, and I'm not good enough post-flop to deal with that yet. I was CBing the turn about the same on the turn (1/2 to 3/4), but it really wasn't working out for me, so I toned it down. I'll try it a bit again, and I'll make sure that I'm not doing anything transparent, like betting 1/2 of the pot when I hit and 3/4 of the pot when I miss.

With that said, it looks like a VB for me here should be ~3/4 of the pot. That has at least one fantastic advantage with these stack sizes: there is no draw that actually has the odds to call this bet, despite the fact that many draws were *way* ahead on the flop. They don't even have the correct implied odds. Very nice. If you told me I had to VB here, I'd pick something between $30 and $40. ajmargarine agreed with $35 as a good number. So, as long as I make myself VB, I'll probably size it correctly.

What do I do if I VB and get raised here? Raising hands here certainly include KK and AT .. do they also include 2 pair, TPTK, etc. often enough that I can fold to a push getting something like 2.4:1? I think so, and I'm so far ahead of those hands that I probably call. FWIW, if the bad guy pushes with KK,AK,AT,T9 every time, I'm only behind 1.6:1.

wheatrich also points out that if I VB the turn, I can VB the river as well, thus getting even more money from 2-pair, etc. hands.

z28dreams gives an alternate line: check-raise. I'm not sure I like this. I think I'll be more likely to get the money from worse hands with VBs, but check-raise is probably better than my push.

OK, so that's a pretty convincing argument for VBing. Is there ever an argument for pushing here? Only if there's a chance that I'll get called by worse hands, I think. And, in order to for that to happen, I'd probably have to be bluff-pushing here sometimes. ajmargarine correctly pointed out that, because of my level of play and the level of play of the tables, this isn't one of the places where I should be bluffing. As he said,

[ QUOTE ]
Get the basic ABC stuff down first before you start thinking about metagame issues. Bluff rarely until you are firm and confident in your game. One barrel, every once in awhile, no one's interested in the pot kind of bluffs are what I am talking about for a couple BB's here and there. Don't be throwing your whole stack in the middle as a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bluffing too much isn't one of my big leaks. But, as long as I'm writing this up as a mini-clinic for myself, it's a good idea to remind myself when (not) to bluff. djoyce003 wrote a bit more about this. Bluffing here is dumb, and bluffing for my whole stack at this level is unnecessary and probably almost always dumb as well. Semi-bluffing, on the other hand, is still a good idea. He didn't spell it out, but I think the point is that I don't have enough outs here for it to be a good semi-bluff.

Other thoughts

For a player at my skill level, the extra explainations in those other posts really helped a lot. That said, Maulik summed it up very nicely and very briefly when he said

[ QUOTE ]
The hands taht will call you are AT &amp; any set... Why not bet $30-40 on the turn and see waht the river brings?

Make it $5-7 to go. Against that many limpers I'm happy taking all their limped money and if one of them wants to come along for a missed set, let'em.

[/ QUOTE ]
djoyce003 also summed things up well and suggested betting the pot, rather than pushing. I think the reasoning here is basically the same as the VB reasoning above.

sidenote I don't know if I want to get away from this hand, but J Chap mentions that I might fold if I bet $35 on the turn and the river gives a 10. At that point, there would be $113 in the pot and $81 in my stack. ajmargarine is more concerned about a 9 than a T, but says he'd check/call the river then. I don't think I have enough to bet/fold those rivers unless I have some ridiculous read. Check/fold seems a bit plausible, but if I've played it so that the other folks' ranges are really as big as I think they are, I probably need to check/call. Yes?

sidenote This quote from ajmargarine also bears repeating:

[ QUOTE ]

Don't be afraid of people chasing and hitting draws. Anytime someone chases with bad odds and hits a draw, it's good for you long term. Loose passives chasing (either draws or with a lesser made hand when they misread you) are where you make the bulk of your $$$ at NL100 and below.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a leak in my game. I've been frustrated and confused recently when I have a TPTK-type hand that goes like this: I raise PF and get 1-2 callers. I hit, but there are two suited cards on the flop. Turn is a blank, bet, call. River makes the flush draw. I VB the river and get called by the flush (that's just fine. Most of the money went in when I was ahead. This is what I want!) or min-raised by the flush (I call here, but I really shouldn't .. what do I really think he has, anyway? Even if he's bluffing, he only gets to bluff the flush card there, and he didn't have the odds to call and bluff that. Again, the money went in when I wanted it to.).

So, I know I spent most of this post repeating things that other people said, but it really helped solidify things in my mind. Any more thoughts? Thanks.

-poincaraux

PS: results I got called by 22 and AT and sucked out on the river for a $300+ pot.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: A clinic for poincaraux

Very, very nice summary. Maybe whoever is doing the next digest will consider putting this thread in it, because your summary is very solid.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: A clinic for poincaraux

Great suggestions, great summary.

This post should definitely make its way into a digest.