Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 10:14 PM

Default $55: limping AA UTG

Okay so my goal here is to extract max $EV playing AA early. Play to build the stack and cruise to the middle game? Or play it safe, raise, and take the pot on the flop?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+2 (t780)
MP1 (t1000)
MP2 (t1205)
MP3 (t985)
CO (t985)
Button (t970)
SB (t1075)
BB (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls t15, 1 fold, UTG+2 calls t15, 1 fold, MP2 calls t15, 1 fold, CO calls t15, 2 folds, BB checks.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+2 bets t15, MP2 folds, CO calls t15, BB folds, Hero raises to t100, UTG+2 folds, CO calls t85.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets t125, CO calls t125.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero bets t125, CO calls t125.

BTW, I had a great wedding in July in Gainesville and a honeymoon in the Bay Area in August. Hypnotized by this great part of the country, I decided to stay here and get a "real job" to pay the considerably higher bills... no more grinding the 22s for me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

A few weeks after my honeymoon-poker-hiatus, I fired up 4 22s and HATED IT. So my poker career ended after 10 months of highs, lows, and everything in between.

I tip my hat to you long-term players and I thank Apathy, curtains, Scuba Chuck, citanul, raptor, Lorinda, and all the other names I've failed to mention for making my brief foray into professional low-stakes poker a success.

Now help me with my now-recreational post-flop play!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: $55: limping AA UTG

The only time I would justify limping with AA is if you're pretty certain that there will be a raise behind you. Then you can pop the re=-raise.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only time I would justify limping with AA is if you're pretty certain that there will be a raise behind you. Then you can pop the re=-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say I was certain but, *gasp*, wrong. Is it better to lead the flop or check-raise the flop?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:22 PM

Depends on what the flop is and how many limpers you got.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:23 PM

Oh, you mean in your hand....I'd probably just play it safe and bet out. Then hope someone raises me.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:28 PM

i still think you gotta raise preflop. You allowed a lot of people to limp and left your AA unprotected.

If the goal was to maximize $$, i think you are better off raising 3xBB and get some people to invest some chips. you didnt get a lot of chips and your aces were very vulnerable with 4 others seeing the flop.

the reason i stand firm on this...i was in a tourney and in 4 hands i had KK, AJs, AA, and AA. i was frustrated when my first 3 hands netted me very little. so i slow played my aces and some guy caught 2 pair on the flop...I would hope the Q9 that beat me would have folded if i raised preflop...i still say you gotta raise and hope someone reraises you, but dont check and hope for a raise...

congrats on ur new life!!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:50 PM

These limp fests with AA are very common at the 55, I hate limping aa utg.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These limp fests with AA are very common at the 55, I hate limping aa utg.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in your experience the 55s are loose pre-flop, aggressive post-flop?

This is Empire if it matters.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:55 PM

Oh I don't know anything about empire.

I wouldn't even call the party 55 aggressive... you will just have some donks will to hand you their stack. A lot of people still won't fold top pair.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:48 PM

i dont think you can ever really justify slow playing it on a full table...especially under the gun. i mean, what are you afraid of? hope for a reraise