Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Either I can\'t adjust my play or i\'m cursed, you tell me (long)

didn't mean to be all that insulting; when you write quickly, it happens.

I retract my statement that you shouldn't sweat an 18 buyin loss. After all, that's what these forums are for: people with legitimate questions looking to improve their game. But realize that there are a dozen posts a week about people whining that they getting clobbered by a bunch of donkeys, so sometimes it's tough to differentiate those people actually serious about improving their game.

You do need to read more though, because all the answers you're looking for are archived in back posts.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:09 AM

"you may be getting cheated"

Although I am the most stalwartly and possibly to the point of stupidity disagreeable person you will ever meet if you are looking for someone to say a game is crooked just because they lost, I have considered that possibility just because of how ridiculous the beats have been, and how many there have been. Every session I took at least three two out beats and lost with QQ or better to someone playing anything from 3 5 off to j 5 suited for a ten times the BB raise preflop. But the fact of the matter is these guys are all restaurant owners, almost all drinking, and the money simply doesn't matter to them a bit. I'm always the only 'real' player there by a long shot and if they are cheating they are doing a hell of a job. In answer to the 'how do you play JJ/1010 on a board with no overs, I definitely go all in every time in that situation against these guys.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:46 AM

first of all, can you start using paragraphs? your posts give me a terrible headache (i would skip but liked the topic).

in a game this loose you will need to loosen up a little and be willing to gamble with a little more than AK, AQ and big pairs. like mentioned earlier small pairs become not as profitable in games that routinely have multi-way pots, because then your hand HAS to flop a set. be willing to get involved with suited connectors.

how is your post flop play? how is your opponents post flop play?

if you can't handle the swings at this table then you aren't bankrolled for it, even if it is a 1/2. being uncomfortable with the money being thrown around can be a bigger factor when losing than anything else.

if you can switch gears a little better and be willing to gamble this is a dream game.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:54 AM

didn't read all the replies, but basically from what you are saying you've just hit a little bit of a bad run.....number one, all this talk about post-flop play is nonsense - you're essentially playing two-street poker if you're making raises to $60 preflop....and that's a GOOD thing with the stack-to-blind sizes you're talking about.....two, this style of play inherently has a lot more variance than playing deep-stack post-flop NL.....three, this style of play in this game is INCREDIBLY profitable......if you're saying you're doing things like getting 20% or more of your stack in preflop with aces - you cannot lose....sure, one pair is much more succeptible against a table full of callers to the river than it is under normal circumstances, but it doesn't matter.....when you lose say "nice hand" and realize that you will be a significant favorite in the long run, and when you win you will quadruple up (or whatever) and win big......just make sure you stick to your plan and do nothing tricky.....make BIG preflop raises with hands that have the best of it on early streets (premium pairs and premium high card hands) and stick it in on the flop with your overpairs, top pairs, etc.......don't bluff, semibluff, or loosen up preflop.....just pound pound pound......
Old 08-17-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this style of play inherently has a lot more variance than playing deep-stack post-flop NL

[/ QUOTE ]
i thought everyone WAS deep-stacked, didn't he say everyone at the table had at least a grand in front of them? this is why the post flop comments.

if the stacks aren't deep then yeah its two street poker which is great if they are getting involved with dominated hands like the OP said.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:34 AM

It's VARIANCE, moron [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. Maybe you understand what that means but it sucks when you have to learn how it FEELS.

I KNOW you couldn't have played more than 30 hours with those happy-go-stupid donators. AA is still an equity favorite hot and cold versus 8 other hands.

The swings are CRAZY in a game like that; so before you go swigging JD and knocking over mailboxes, decide whether or not you can handle dropping 10 buy-ins on a bad night at that place BEFORE you play.

But make sure you look like one of the boys-- you're there to gamble and ogle all the hoes. Don't get uninvited after your 3 to 1 preflop favorites start to *gasp* HOLD UP after all the cards come out.

This is Owen by the way, so don't get insulted by the moron comment. Even though I mean it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every session I took at least three <font color="red">two out</font> beats and lost with QQ or better to someone playing anything from 3 5 off to j 5 suited for a ten times the BB raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's your answer. What was the question again?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you may be getting cheated.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first reaction as well.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are very aware I am waiting for premium hands, yet pay no attention if the flop is AK3 and they have k 10 and i'm in the pot they will call anything I bet.. I just don't know what it is my stack has never gone higher than $250 or so at this table. If I hit top pair with an ace king or queen kicker I usually assume I have the best hand... and am usually wrong despite watching middle pair bottom pair and ace high win pot after pot. It is very confusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered the possibility that you are being cheated? Playing very aggressive is a good way to mask cheating ... all you have to do is throw in a couple of "bad beats" a night and then they chalk it up to "I play so many hand, some have to hit". I played in a game that sounds similar to yours: very aggressive, i felt like i was getting in with the best of it consistently but i was also losing consistently ... turns out i was being cheated.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can honestly say i've never played any hands except AK, AK suited, AQ suited, limped pp's lower than QQ looking for sets, and basically gotten all in preflop with QQ KK AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why dont you fcking play some poker and beat them up? What is this bullcrap. Make a straight with 68s. Stacks are deep here and its likely even preflop your opponents arent making as bad a mistake as you'd like them too. Make top pair and they'll call with middle pair, right?

-Jason