Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 08:31 AM

Default QQ and JJ

My friend and I busted out of the same tournie last night. He was first to do so and I think his play was flawed. I was second - I'm sure mine was.
I don't have the hand histories but the question is more general. We argued for hours about this!
William Hill £20 buy-in 60-70 riders, ten for the money.
With 25 left in, my mate has a medium stack (4-5000). He's BB and is dealt QQ. UTG (who has my mate very slightly outchipped) calls the 200 blind and it's folded round to my mate who goes all in. I think this is horrible play. The call from the A9s UTG is absolutely terribly horrible but I don't think my mate can bleat about a bad beat. His point is that you've persuaded the opponent to put all his chips in with the worst hand but my point is that he's risked his whole tournie as only a 2/3 favourite uncessarily. A much smaller raise should have cleared out any hands you don't want calling and you have position when the flop comes. I also think that UTG is marginally less likely to call a 1/4 stack raise than he is an all in (where he can just close his eyes)

I limped on to 15th and was the shortest stack with 1400 or so chips - absolutely card dead at this stage (should have been busier earlier though). BB is 300. I'm SB with JJ. The button has 6000 chips the CO is very aggressive and clearly very good with 7000 (he'd been up and down like a pea on a drum but was the force at the table).
Now, with my hooks, naturally, I'm looking to push all my chips in. But it's folded round to the CO who calls. BB folds and I put all my chips in, BB folds and CO calls, flips A9o you can guess the rest.

My mate said this was unlucky but again I don't think the push was the right move. I've put the villain on one of two types of hand. The unusual call means that he either likes his hand and wants chips in the pot (effectively HU v the button) or, more likely, a hand that he wants to go HU with the blinds with but not to have to go through teh button: a weak ace. Once the button has folded, I know that I'm getting called and the best I can hope is that I double up, still remaining a short stack. I'm staking my whole tournie as a 2:1 favourite (there is no fold equity here).
I think this is bad. My mate disagrees and pointed out that villain could easily have had a lower pair but my read told me that he would have raised that. He wouldn't mind being in a raised pot with a big stack caller with a PP but he knows that A9 is useless to him, if the button calls, with almost any flop.

Anyway, that's jut MHO. I wish I hadn't called. The bubble burst real quick and, my calculation was that, had I folded it down, I would have made seventh, assuming I didn't find better cards or a better spot for a stand.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: QQ and JJ

Friend's hand-
I think he played his QQ way too fast, but if I knew villain would call with A9 I would push too. I would raise to around 800 here as a standard play.

Your hand-
You played it fine. Occasionally people limp monsters from LP but you don't have nearly enough chips to do anything but push with your JJ.

*Also never use the phrase "but my point is that he's risked his whole tourney as only a 2/3 favorite unnecessarily." You want to exploit edges this big whenever you can.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:46 AM

Your mates move was silly and chases away hands that you want action from, or only gets called by a hand that is winning. He should have just done a standard raise. Why the UTG player limped in with trash and then called the ridiculous over bet I don't know.
You were quite right to move all in. They should auto call your all in anyway and with a hand as good as JJ (for your stack size) you want as big a return as you can. If he does fold to your raise then he's made a mistake. Presuming the tournament doesn't have a flat payout structure you don't want to limp into the money anway.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:13 AM

[quote
*Also never use the phrase "but my point is that he's risked his whole tourney as only a 2/3 favorite unnecessarily." You want to exploit edges this big whenever you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That is a very ignorant statement.