Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 04:07 AM

Default AA oop on a paired board

PP 6-max 2/4 NL
Hero (500) is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain (900) behind me somewhere

Villain looks like he is loose. Have seen him turn up with QTs after he raised it pf, and have seen him show down less than strong hands in the short time I've been here.

Preflop
folded to hero, who makes it 16, only villain calls

Flop (Pot 35)
8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, villain checks

Turn (Pot 35)
K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets 25, villain calls

River (Pot 85)
J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets 60, villain makes it 150 .... hero ?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: AA oop on a paired board

Why did you check on the flop?
Worried he had an 8, or hoping for a bet to check-raise?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:32 AM

Man, this would be a tough, tough laydown. You are representing a hand like AK at the least to villian. I think you are going to see AK and KJ here sometimes, which you beat. But, I could see him playing 8x, 77, or 9T like this also. Hard to imagine he is raising on the end with air here. When someone comes alive like this they almost always have something big.

Most people couldn't get away from AK or AA here for the amount of his raise. You need to win 35% of the time here on the end to make this +EV enough to call. Because you posted this, I imagine you called and got beat. But, I am not sure I could get away from it at the table either.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you check on the flop?
Worried he had an 8, or hoping for a bet to check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanna keep the pot small, it has been my experience that if this turns into a big pot - I lose.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:49 AM

Don't you think a pot sized bet on the flop would've avoided such a tricky situation?

You've surely got the best hand on the flop - why risk giving the loose Villain a free chance to beat you?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you think a pot sized bet on the flop would've avoided such a tricky situation?

You've surely got the best hand on the flop - why risk giving the loose Villain a free chance to beat you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you so sure that I have the best hand ?
If I do have the best hand, then villain is likely miles behind me, so free cards arent really that bad
Old 08-17-2005, 05:37 AM

Being as loose as you said Villain was, the only thing i would slightly worry about on that flop would be him holding 77 (hands like A8s, 98s, 87s would beat you but would he call a 4x BB raise with those?).
I do indeed think you're miles ahead. But as for free cards being not so bad - I think the decision on the river is a pretty nasty one to make because all of a sudden the possible holdings that'd beat you have significantly increased.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Being as loose as you said Villain was, the only thing i would slightly worry about on that flop would be him holding 77 (hands like A8s, 98s, 87s would beat you but would he call a 4x BB raise with those?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold on.. Being loose means he WOULD call with those marginal holdings. A tight player you would only have 77 to worry about, not a loose one.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do indeed think you're miles ahead. But as for free cards being not so bad - I think the decision on the river is a pretty nasty one to make because all of a sudden the possible holdings that'd beat you have significantly increased.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all - loosey gooseys can turn up with all manner of hands. So, its entirely possible that he has an 8. In fact, there are quite a few players that are not loosey gooseys who could also turn up here with an 8.

Second of all - what massive array of possibilities have turned up to beat me on the river ? 9T is the only realistic *new* possibility.

AK/KQ/KJ/Kx are all beat by me
99/TT/QQ are all beat by me (and are not really likely)
JJ/KK I lose (and are not really likely)

66-22 are all beat by me.

Any 8 was ahead on the flop and is still ahead now.

Giving a free card on the flop didnt really add a lot to the "beats me" list, but it did keep the pot small if villain had an 8 or 77.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Results

I did, indeed call, figuring that I was ahead of KJ and AK (although I would find AK surprising here).

Villain showed 87o for the win.