Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 11:05 AM

Default TT in the BB against a 2+2er

3/6 game at New York Players' Club in NYC. 2+2er JDanz open-raises in MP. Folded to me in the BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I 3-bet, he calls.

Flop comes:

9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, JDanz raises, I call.

Turn is some non-[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] blank. Let's call it the 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I check, JDanz bets, I fold.

Comments on each street appreciated. Misplayed on every street?
Old 07-08-2004, 11:19 AM

Default Re: TT in the BB against a 2+2er

nope, well played. check pot odds on 6 outs on your call of the flop raise though, cause at that point you are simply drawing to 6 outs.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:40 PM

I like your play of the hand preflop. On the flop, I'd probably c/r . On the turn, you are getting 6-1 immediate odds. Assuming your two 10s and 4 Queens are good if you hit, and you will get in a c/r on the river, you could call here. It's not hugely -EV to do so, at any rate.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:48 PM

On the turn, I figured it was close, but given that I'd have to finagle two bets out of JDanz on the river, and the fact that if he happened to have a Q my 2 T outs are worthless, I surrendered.

Also, even if my T outs are clean, I'd have to manage to check-raise him on a board with 4 to a straight on the river to make my turn call correct.

JDanz mentioned in another thread he had AJs this hand.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:54 PM

I think your play was good. My only question is why you 3-bet preflop. Of course, I am not saying it was incorrect, but just curious about your motivation. You obviously didn't need to narrow the field, b/c it was already head-up. You were not going to get him to fold preflop w/ your 3bet. I can understand that thinking that you probably have the best hand preflop and want to take control of the hand as reasons to 3-bet. I probably would have called his raise with just the 2 of us and seen the flop first... but maybe that is a weakness in my game.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:03 PM

You guys are spot on here. You have to be sure that you can win 2 bets on the river to make the call worthwhile and since that is doubtful you made a good fold. The rest of the hand was textbook.

Lost Wages
Old 07-08-2004, 02:06 PM

Agreed, a good fold. It is close, though -- an example of how lots of action preflop even head up should make you careful about folding later.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Why I 3-bet preflop

JDanz could have a wide range of hands here, almost none of which I dominate and several of which dominate me. Right or wrong, my read on him was that he was open-raising preflop and taking down the blinds (or taking the pot with a single flop bet) frequently enough that he was probably (correctly) raising with holdings that he may not have in normally game conditions (that is, one not populated by 6 2+2ers on good behavior and a few passive players.) So, ATo, KJo, QJs, etc. (Note that his hands are still in decent shape against my TT, but...)

I hadn't gotten out of line all night up to that point. If I had to guess as to JDanz's image of me, it would be, shockingly, "tight and aggressive." I thought he was less likely to think of my 3-bet as a "resteal" and as more of an "uh-oh."

So, for the extra bet I put in preflop, I figured I manage to build up some stealing equity in the latter streets. Plus, he didn't cap, which I figured he would probably do with JJ-QQ-KK-AA in this situation. Whoop-dee-doo, I have narrowed his range of holdings to "random overcards" or "maybe a pair."

I was planning on firing away on the turn had he just called my flop bet. Little did I know that my read of JDanz's read was very, very wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So that's why I 3-bet preflop.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Why I 3-bet preflop

Sounds like good reasoning to me.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:17 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I like your play of the hand preflop. On the flop, I'd probably c/r . On the turn, you are getting 6-1 immediate odds. Assuming your two 10s and 4 Queens are good if you hit, and you will get in a c/r on the river, you could call here. It's not hugely -EV to do so, at any rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why you'd check-raise the flop with this board. I'd lean more toward giving up than showing more aggression. I'm interested to hear your reasoning for this though, since I might be missing something.

I also think check-raising the flop after 3-betting preflop looks suspicious, but that's just me.