Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Choose your seat (complex)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the fact that he defends liberally is not a good thing if I am the one doing the stealing.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to explain this further because I feel 100% opposite when I have position here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few of your steals will show a profit >.75 BB/hand if you see the flop. If you steal the blinds, you win .75 BBs. Ergo, you want to steal the blinds unopposed as often as possible.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how to interpret seat numbers. Is seat 2 to the right of seat 1?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think seat 2 is to the left of seat 1. from an overhead view, seat 1 is to the right of the dealer and the numbers go clockwise around the table
Old 12-07-2005, 12:03 AM

At a glance I'd sit between 3 and 4 so that I could hammer the tight passive player's BB and take cheap showdowns against the schmucks to my right.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:08 AM

nah joe. you want tight or bad players in the blinds when you steal. you dont want a passive player who defends liberally in the BB because defending liberally is correct against my steal range which is probably 43% ATTSB. dont tell me to tighten up either then because even the bottom range of those hands is profitable with position imo.

also, allowing the passive player who doesnt bluff to play out of the BB doesnt magnify his weakness. its a fairly good strategy to be checkcalling out of the BB against a steal raise and to not bluff much. its still unprofitable of course but id much rather have any of the other bad players in the BB.

hi jeff. seat 2 has position on seat 1, ie: seat 1 SB seat 2 BB.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:22 AM

Which is it?

[ QUOTE ]
you dont want a passive player who defends liberally in the BB because defending liberally is correct against my steal range which is probably 43% ATTSB

[/ QUOTE ]

or

[ QUOTE ]
even the bottom range of those hands is profitable with position imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

????
Old 12-07-2005, 12:26 AM

The more he folds the larger the range of hands you can play profitably. For example, if you're in a 1/2 SB structure and you had an opponent who would fold the BB 51% of the time you could raise any two cards profitably. If he's calling 90% of the time suddenly J5s starts to look like a real loser.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:32 AM

lol wtf joe. it seems that youre implying that its incorrect for me to raise because its correct for him to defend.

it is very often correct for me to raise and at the same time be correct for him to defend.

you do understand right?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol wtf joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you have a civil discussion? Ever?

[ QUOTE ]
it seems that youre implying that its incorrect for me to raise because its correct for him to defend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not.

[ QUOTE ]
it is very often correct for me to raise and at the same time be correct for him to defend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know.

You tell me you don't want him in the BB when you are on the button and then tell me that your steal range is still profitable here:

[ QUOTE ]
you dont want a passive player who defends liberally in the BB because defending liberally is correct against my steal range which is probably 43% ATTSB. dont tell me to tighten up either then because even the bottom range of those hands is profitable with position imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you want to be in position with a profitable range of hands? You seem to be contradicting yourself.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:27 AM

You have the button in what seems to be a perfect situation a loose blind defending, passive, predictable player. Never 3-bets, you have position, easy to get away from, you'll outplay him all day long.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:37 AM

I don't really want to get in the middle of whatever internet spat is going on here, but I do want to point out that most of the value in any blind steal attempt comes from the times that your opponents actually fold.