Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2004, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Three hands for comments..

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: I don't like being second in, two off the button, with a suited 1-gapper. I want to be at least in the CO and with 3 callers in front of me, or near 100% certainty that both blinds are tagging along. When it is raised behind you on the flop and comes back around, 3-bet. Jam that baby. Your flush is low but it's probably the best hand. Raise. Also, this is far less important, but you want to protect it a bit in case an A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is hanging around. Besides, they'll call 2 bets not, but now on the river if they miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right about 3-betting the flop.. should have done that. What do you do on the turn when you hit the flush? This guy was pretty happy with his 2-pair, so I'd imagine he's raising. Do you cap? Should I be worried about facing a higher flush?

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3: Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I bet the flop, I get raised, what do I do? Fold? Re-raise? My hand isn't that great, and there's an excellent chance that diamonds are out there. How far do you take a pair of aces with a 6 kicker?
Old 05-11-2004, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're right about 3-betting the flop.. should have done that. What do you do on the turn when you hit the flush? This guy was pretty happy with his 2-pair, so I'd imagine he's raising. Do you cap? Should I be worried about facing a higher flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

3-bet the turn. If he caps, it's ruh-roh time. Generally, don't worry about having a smaller flush on a 3-flush board (same with having an underset, don't worry) until you face heavy turn action.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I bet the flop, I get raised, what do I do? Fold? Re-raise? My hand isn't that great, and there's an excellent chance that diamonds are out there. How far do you take a pair of aces with a 6 kicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's raising? I LAG? Anyone coldcall? Coldcalls would concern me as much as a raise. But generally, I'll dump to a raise. You bet because it's highly possible that no one likes the monotone flop and you have TP.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:09 PM

Pocket pairs have the special exception. The value of spiking a set is huge.

A- KTo is an old bad joke for me. There's some hands that I've played badly with it that I've posted here.

B- Late position is really situational to me. Depends a lot on my reads. But yeah- save KJo I don't play those hands outside of the blinds.

A lot of them might have A diamond. If a lot of them have A diamond that means it's unlikely that they'll actually get there. Yes, you have to fear aces, which is why you have to bet this to see where you are.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who's raising? I LAG? Anyone coldcall? Coldcalls would concern me as much as a raise. But generally, I'll dump to a raise. You bet because it's highly possible that no one likes the monotone flop and you have TP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't have been in this hand to start with. Would you play A6s from UTG+2? To me, this was more of a stretch than the KTo on the button.. And I would definitely bet this if the flope hadn't been monotone. I could handle 2 diamonds even, but not 3..

I'm too tired to crunch the numbers, but 8 callers, monotone flop, what are the odds that no one likes it? Pretty slim..
Old 05-11-2004, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pocket pairs have the special exception. The value of spiking a set is huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, sorry, don't mean to be an @ss or anything, but you've said that you only play below group 4 with suited aces, the occasional well placed suited connectors, pocket pairs, and KJ? So you're excluding suited one-off-connectors (Q9s, T8s, 97s), off-suited connectors like QJ, JT, and then hands like AT, KT, QT? Even on the button in a loose game?

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of them might have A diamond. If a lot of them have A diamond that means it's unlikely that they'll actually get there. Yes, you have to fear aces, which is why you have to bet this to see where you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I bet strictly for information here? Didn't I accomplish the same thing by checking? I check, someone bets, 2 callers in front of me.. that's 3 people willing to pay more money after seeing the flop (and one more acting after me). Do I think that I'm 20% to win this pot at this point? With the beauty of hand histories and twodimes, I can actually say that I was 1.35% to win this pot after the flop.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:35 PM

Kem, you are asking the right questions. It is very hard to give advice on hypothetical questions because it always depends on what happens next.

In hands 2 and 3 the popular suggestion is to take the lead on the flop. Any number of things can happen on later streets and it's very hard to guess what your opponents will do.

In general, I advise raising a couple more times in hand 2 and taking the lead in hand 3 until told otherwise. Being results oriented you would have won more in #2 and lost more in #3, but I think this advice will yield profits in the long run.

As a side note, there have been times where I played #3 the exact same way as you did.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I bet strictly for information here? Didn't I accomplish the same thing by checking? I check, someone bets, 2 callers in front of me.. that's 3 people willing to pay more money after seeing the flop (and one more acting after me). Do I think that I'm 20% to win this pot at this point? With the beauty of hand histories and twodimes, I can actually say that I was 1.35% to win this pot after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm running some simulations on that hand. I fix my hand and the flop, put in 8 callers. Give one caller the 7d, another caller an ace, all other callers' cards are randomly generated. My odds of winning are ~4%.. I give that other ace a better kicker than me, it drops to around 3%. Against a made flush and all other callers have random cards, I'm 2%. I think this is a good fold. Unless everyone is bluffing, I am well behind in this hand.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In hands 2 and 3 the popular suggestion is to take the lead on the flop. Any number of things can happen on later streets and it's very hard to guess what your opponents will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I (perhaps playing scared) thought my flush might be second rate on hand 2. This could have been because I had been on the receiving ends of some bad beats at that table and was expecting more of the same. I think if I had been coming off a winning streak, I would have (correctly) played it more aggressively and gotten a few more bets out of my opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
As a side note, there have been times where I played #3 the exact same way as you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually going to stand by that decision to fold. I'm running simulations here, and if I assume I'm up against another ace and/or some diamonds, I am nill to win this hand. With so many callers seeing the flop, I am not in a good situation. I think with that hand and 8 callers, I need to see hearts on the flop to make it pay off..
Old 05-12-2004, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually going to stand by that decision to fold. I'm running simulations here, and if I assume I'm up against another ace and/or some diamonds, I am nill to win this hand. With so many callers seeing the flop, I am not in a good situation. I think with that hand and 8 callers, I need to see hearts on the flop to make it pay off..

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what simulations you are using. I will normally bet the flop because I feel I have the best hand. I am also confident that I will be able to fold the hand in some situations and continue betting in other situations. If you are not comfortable taking the lead in the hand, check-folding is without a doubt a +EV play.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:57 AM

hand 1: fold preflop, otherwise fine

hand 2: fold preflop. Why did you play your draw if all you were going to do when you hit is was calling it down?
You might overcall the turn to lure the other players in, but its prolly best to raise to make them pay to draw to a higher flush. Raise the river. You will have the best hand way more often than not.

hand 3: some players probably considers this a weak laydown, and it is true that if you are going to play AXs from EP ypu cant just dump it when an ace flops. In this situation, against that many players and possibility of a made flush already, I think the laydown is fine.