Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 10:44 PM

Default Too aggressive with AA in the BB?

Haven't seen AA in ~400 hands, then get dealt it on my very first hand tonight, as BB.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds.

River: (13 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 20 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 20 BB, between UTG, CO and Hero.</font>

I thought a long time on the river before making the call.. With a pair of 7's on the board, and 3 other guys in the pot, odds are one has me beat, right?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive with AA in the BB?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought a long time on the river before making the call.. With a pair of 7's on the board, and 3 other guys in the pot, odds are one has me beat, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but are the odds 18:1? When it got back to you, it's 18 BBs, you need to put in 1 more, and it's probably not going to get raised behind you. You only need to be right 1 in 18 times to call here, and I would do that everytime.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:03 PM

I don't see anywhere in this hand that you're too agressive. You can't check the river just because the board paired. I don't like the raise behind you here, but make the call. I've seen stranger plays than the guy with Jacks deciding you've been on A-K and with all undercards on the board finally deciding to play... And the with that pot size, your hand has to hold up enough to make one more bet mandatory.

--Zetack
Old 05-05-2004, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but are the odds 18:1? When it got back to you, it's 18 BBs, you need to put in 1 more, and it's probably not going to get raised behind you. You only need to be right 1 in 18 times to call here, and I would do that everytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

But do you bet out on the river after the board pairs? Up until this point, the board had seemed pretty harmless..
Old 05-05-2004, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see anywhere in this hand that you're too agressive. You can't check the river just because the board paired. I don't like the raise behind you here, but make the call. I've seen stranger plays than the guy with Jacks deciding you've been on A-K and with all undercards on the board finally deciding to play... And the with that pot size, your hand has to hold up enough to make one more bet mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah, after the raise I should call, but was I too aggressive in betting the river?

Unfortunately the story has a sad ending. UTG flips over QTs for top pair, Q kicker, and CO flips over 22 for a full house. He flopped a set, and decided to just call it down to the river. Gotta love microlimits...
Old 05-05-2004, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, yeah, after the raise I should call, but was I too aggressive in betting the river?

Unfortunately the story has a sad ending. UTG flips over QTs for top pair, Q kicker, and CO flips over 22 for a full house. He flopped a set, and decided to just call it down to the river. Gotta love microlimits...

[/ QUOTE ]

I played almost the exact same hand last night, but somebody flipped over sevens for quads. FWIW I think that the river bet is fine. No one has given you any indication that you're beat to that point.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:08 AM

Similar questions came up yesterday, and I think the reason we have such trouble with betting top pair into a crowd is that leaned from S&amp;M to ask ourselves, "Will anyone call this bet if they can't beat me?"

What we have to remember is that at microlimits, the answer is "Yes, all the time." You played it fine.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Similar questions came up yesterday, and I think the reason we have such trouble with betting top pair into a crowd is that leaned from S&amp;M to ask ourselves, "Will anyone call this bet if they can't beat me?"

What we have to remember is that at microlimits, the answer is "Yes, all the time." You played it fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, one of the river callers had only QTs. He called both my bet, and the raiser's, and was beaten by both. I don't think I played this badly, but it is certainly frustrating to see the CO just call his set until the river. I can't complain about a bad beat, since he was ahead on the flop.. still frustrating.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:41 AM

It is frustrating - you want to type, "Why didn't you tell me you had me beat!!! But thanks for not taking more of my money."

If I am particularly pissed, I will type, "You disguised your hand very well." This way I get to tell them they played the hand like a little girl, and they take it as a complement.