Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Stud/8 - too aggressive with kings in the hole?

No reads as new to the table.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (9.80 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (8.90 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets $0.50 and is all-in

6th Street - (15.90 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises $0.15 to $0.65 and is all-in
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___all-in

River - (19.80 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___all-in
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___all-in

Total pot: (19.80 BB)
Old 07-02-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 - too aggressive with kings in the hole?

I think you did well.

3rd is standard. If this was higher limit I'd put seat 5 on a big pair in hole or a low 3straight/flush.
4th. Two of the likely lows just bricked. That seat 7 bet is probably him throwing his last couple chips in so I wouldn't care about that. Given 34 didn't raise makes me think he paired his 4. Raising here is a nice way to punish these guys drawing for lows.

5th. I don't like the raise here, but I think it doesn't hurt. The trick is you haven't improved and both guys picked up good cards, especially 346 who's likely on a gut or openended straight draw (although several of his cards are dead) and if he doesn't have a low he's got 4 to a low.

6th. Still nothing out of seat 5. Is he just that passive? Betting seems right.

7th. I check here too. Seat 5 may not have anything, but odds are he has a low and you'll just split the side pot. With the odds that one of the two allins actually managed something I think your equity just isn't there to want to bet.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:01 PM

Thanks, I kept raising to try to force people out of the pot so I could get heads up with a low draw. However by the end I did feel that I'd been throwing money away so wanted a sanity check.

As it happens I scooped the pot , next best hand was two pair, Kings in the hole with 4s, and the other 2 had just pairs. I stayed at the table a while longer after I saw that and made 30 BBs in the next hour! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2005, 09:50 PM

third:
your raise on third is good. I think the only other way to play it is to fold. calling would be very bad.

fourth:
I may just call. your raise isn't going to limit the field, so I like just calling here and hoping to drive people out of the pot on fifth if possible

fifth:
again I just call. the other two players have already called one bet so they will most likely call another one.
Also, there's a good chance that somebody has two pair and may have you beat.

sixth and seventh:
I wouldn't change anything

I would appreciate any feedback because honestly I have no idea if I'm on the right track or not.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
third:
your raise on third is good. I think the only other way to play it is to fold. calling would be very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 07-03-2005, 01:38 AM

well... if you call, you'll most likely get 5 players which is bad for your kings, but if you raise you "should" be able to limit the field to 2 or 3 (which would be better for your kings I think) in this case the limit the field angle didn't work though... but I think typically it would be a little more successful
Old 07-03-2005, 10:40 AM

I think that making it a full bet coming in is proper, and that you should only call the raise. You don't really want to play a huge pot with a high-only hand.

I'm not crazy about the raise on fourth. Even with the three-flush, I'm more interested in knocking people out than anything else, and with everyone in for one bet already that seems like too much to ask for. I would just call and hope that I can get a raise in later.

On fifth, I'm hesitant to call, let alone raise. He's playing it super-passive, but 346 is still a pretty scary board. You're probably behind the guy with open Tens. I think this is only a call.

The bet on sixth is fine, especially since they're still checking to you. I actually think I'd bet the river as well. The low hand is still checking, which leads me to believe that either he didn't make it or he is completely clueless. Maybe he's going for a check-raise, which you would hate, but I would guess that he's probably got two small pair and will pay you off. Checking behind isn't the end of the world by any means, though.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:50 AM

OK, I posted my response to this hand and then noticed that I was a little confused about the third street action. I thought that arcticfox raised and there was a raise behind him for some reason.

I agree that making it two bets on third street is the best play, but I disagree that flat calling is a disaster. The primary reason to raise third street is to knock people out. A couple of people have folded already. The early position limper is unlikely to fold. The raiser isn't folding. This leaves you with the two guys behind you. They may very well fold for one bet (the bring-in is 40% in, so he's less likely to), and they may very well call for two bets. Being in relatively late position, you don't have the opportunity to influence the number of callers that you would from early position. As I said, I would usually raise to try to get it heads-up, but if those guys were particularly tenacious players, I might just flat call and hope to get hit hard on fourth.