Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Rick : The J9 hand, what were you thinking?

Not a criticism (I have called bigger bets with less), I simply want to understand your thought process. You had J9, a straight draw on the flop, pair on the turn, he had K10, top pair on the flop, flush on the river.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Rick : The J9 hand, what were you thinking?

[ QUOTE ]
Not a criticism (I have called bigger bets with less), I simply want to understand your thought process. You had J9, a straight draw on the flop, pair on the turn, he had K10, top pair on the flop, flush on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how much of the table talk you could hear but it was apparent I was getting a lot of respect when I bet (unfortunately coupled with very few playable cards - even against the trash they were playing).

Anyway, I got a free play in the big blind with J-9 offsuit with about five way action (it must have been the first time seat eight didn't raise out of the small blind - boy I wanted something half decent to go over the top of him but I digress).

The flop came T-8-x of rainbow. I led out with a $20 bet and only seat one called (I was in seat nine - there is no seat ten in California). So now the pot is about $65.

The turn is a 9s putting two spades on board. I now have a pair and a draw so I lead out about $50. Seat one calls and only has about $70 left. My thinking was that if he had a hand why not go in now given that the board was very coordinated and he would want to protect it.

The river was a small spade. I check and he bets about $70 all-in fairly fast. The pot is now about $230, I have second pair and it seemed he could easily be betting a weaker hand or a busted bottom end draw so I called.

~ Rick
Old 02-20-2005, 03:50 AM

Ahh, I understand perfectly now. The stack sizes were very unclear. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ahh, I understand perfectly now. The stack sizes were very unclear. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting the stack sizes right is important to the serious viewer. Perhaps we can do something special with the chips (e.g., special sizes, vivid colors) or have the nearby floor (tonight it was Tim Raynak) provide feedback to the broadcast booth so they can provide a reasonable approximation.

In no limit, stack sizes and bet sizing is very important. IMO this type of broadcast/webcast best shot is to try to attract a smart audience who will want to know this sort of detail.

Regards,

Rick
Old 02-20-2005, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In no limit, stack sizes and bet sizing is very important. IMO this type of broadcast/webcast best shot is to try to attract a smart audience who will want to know this sort of detail.

[/ QUOTE ]
Indeed, since this is going to eventually be a pay per month type of deal, the casual viewer that watches poker on television isn't your target audience.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed, since this is going to eventually be a pay per month type of deal, the casual viewer that watches poker on television isn't your target audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of my complaints about the commentary, there should not be a need to explain how to play holdem, which was done TWICE (once very early in the broadcast, the second time around the last hour). I do have to temper that with the fact that I personally didn't know about buying the button. Bart did explain that very well when Rick did that after he was enjoying his chicken kabob. Maybe it won't be so "dumbed down" when people have to pay to watch.

Kevin...
Old 02-20-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Another Hand and a General Restricted Buy NL Concept

Here is another hand I thought I might get hammered on by 2+2.

Early in the web-cast there was a big guy in seat five (the middle seat) who was running over the table. I've never played him before but he was loose aggressive and getting lucky. In some of the table talk I noticed he quipped that I'm not in many pots and must have a hand when I play.

During the hand in question he has about $1000 and open raises UTG+1 for $35 (IMO an overbet - I like to open raise for $20 or 4 times the BB). He had previously overbet with some shaky hands and continued with aggression post flop. If memory serves me I had about $350 or so on the button so I smooth call with a pair of fours. My rule of thumb for baby pairs is "Can I win ten times my pre flop investment if I flop a set?". There was little question that against this guy I would, but just barely since I had only $350.

The flop comes A-9-x rainbow (or something similar) and seat five thinks a while and checks. I decide that this guy is thinking "seat 9 is strong and I (seat 5) missed so no use throwing any more at the pot" so I bet $50 into the $74 (after drop) pot.

It seemed like he was going to fold but all of a sudden he comes out with a mini check-raise to $100. Now I decide I'm getting milked so after a bit of hesitation I fold (I wasn't going to call, but IMO Tommy Angelo style bullet folds tell my opponents too much about my hands).

Had I had $250 rather than $350 I wouldn't have called pre flop since my implied odds aren't great enough. Had I had $120 or so I'd often go all-in and usually be in a position where I'm coin flipping or better (this guy would open raise with A3!). Small stacks are easily replaced - I always rebuy to bring my stack up to $300 whenever I go under $100.

In restricted buy in no limit I believe it is best (if you are one of the better players) to gamble with small edges when you have a short, replaceable stack but you should protect a stack that is well in excess of the rebuy threshold of $300. The chips you have beyond the $300 rebuy threshold can often be used to win as a huge favorite later so there is little EV in getting it in as a small favorite.

~ Rick