Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 12:25 PM

Default You like or no?

Okay i have been taking shots at the party 5/10 and it is certainly different than the 2/4. Seems like quite a bit more slow playing and deception so i have been trying to mix it up a little bit and take different lines than i normally would. This may just be stupid FPS but i kinda liked the hand after i played it and thought i would post it and find out.

Party 5/10. Villian is an over aggressive tricky monkey pre and post flop.

Pre flop: I raise UTG with AQ off, UTG+1(villian) 3-bets, folds to me and i call.

Flop: QQ4
I check/call.

Turn: a brick
I bet and villian thinks a little and just calls.

River: K
I check/raise and villian calls.

Looking back i think i probably should have check/raised the flop and seen if this guy wanted to get after it but this is how it played out so let me know what you think.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: You like or no?

This all seems okay. We don't want to c/r the flop right off the bat and give away our hand. A b/c would also work here I think and extract a bit more value.

The turn is good, don't let him get a free card and have the opportunity to 3-bet if he gets aggressive. Our hand strength is very questionable to him since we're "donking".

I like the river c/r, but would only do it on a A or K. His thought out turn call makes me think he has AK a fair bit of the time. I don't think he would have hesitated to call as long with any type of pair.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This all seems okay. We don't want to c/r the flop right off the bat and give away our hand. A b/c would also work here I think and extract a bit more value.

The turn is good, don't let him get a free card and have the opportunity to 3-bet if he gets aggressive. Our hand strength is very questionable to him since we're "donking".

I like the river c/r, but would only do it on a A or K. His thought out turn call makes me think he has AK a fair bit of the time. I don't think he would have hesitated to call as long with any type of pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Krimson actually i thought a flop check/raise might represent a weaker hand than i had.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Krimson actually i thought a flop check/raise might represent a weaker hand than i had.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your right. I guess it all boils down to how the villian interprets a flop c/r. Cheap shot at the pot, or extracting value. I've seen people fold immediately, and seen them try to bluff raise the turn in return.

One issue, if villian just has AK, then a flop c/r may concern him, not about a Q, but about middle pairs and other stuff that has him beat.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:06 PM

At the middle levels (above 2/4) flop play is always considered suspect. A c/r flop would beg the question "If he had a Q, why wouldn't he wait to c/r the turn". AA,KK,JJ,TT (maybe a frisky AK) here will 3-bet. I honestly like a c/r flop, bet out the turn if he calls and c/r the turn if he 3-bets the flop. You are risking giving away a free card, but he shouldn't have that many outs.