Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Proper Job Interview attire

Yep, I gotta agree with Goober. I'm a Software Engineer and showed up to an interview wearing a shirt, tie, and slacks. The interviewer, wearing ripped jeans and a T-shirt, said he was suspicious of people wearing ties. I'd recommend trying to get to know the culture of the place beforehand and dressing slightly above that.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:57 PM

I'm also used to the IT style of interviewing, so I go with a dressh shirt/slacks and normally no tie. In the next quarter or so I plan to move into either nonprofit (since I hate money) or another different field; is the suit mandatory for an interview or can I pull off a sport coat and tie?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd recommend trying to get to know the culture of the place beforehand and dressing slightly above that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best answer.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:26 AM

I worked for a guy a few years ago in the securities industry at a small office, he was a one man show. Guys from the securities industry in small offices are often business casual, so when I was on the phone setting up an interview, I said "I'll come down in a suit for the interview?" trying to gauge whether the guy would say "Nah, don't be silly. My father wore a suit, I wear jeans to work."

The guy flipped out. "You should make your own decision, and I am judging you based on that decision," he told me. So I wore a suit, and hated the guy. I should have known during that phone call not to even bother. I lasted about 9 weeks. My last few days we had an argument about how to staple some IRA paperwork.

You know, is it 'ok' to have the staple in the upper left hand corner VERTICALLY, or is horizontal the only acceptable way. My vote for "It doesn't matter," didn't hold much weight.