Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Another one

Repeated psychological evidence that shame relative to nudity is learned, not inherent.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Agree or Disagree? Why?

Perhaps you should stop posting like such a child, KipBond, and other posters won't be so apt to ignore you.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you should stop posting like such a child, KipBond, and other posters won't be so apt to ignore you.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you are a Christian? Jesus would be proud.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And to what extent do they dispute an important biblical fact?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should start by listing the top 10 or so "important biblical facts".

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you didn't answer the question, I found the blog you got this statement from. In there, the author points out some of the "important biblical facts" that he thinks have not been disputed by scientific discoveries:

[ QUOTE ]
No new matter is being formed – Genesis 2:2, "By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Roundness of the earth – (Isaiah 40:22) “He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. “

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hydrologic cycle – (Ecclesiastes 1:7) “All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again.”

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Law of increasing entropy (Psalm 102:25-27)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Paramount importance of blood in life processes (Leviticus 17:11)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Atmospheric circulation (Ecclesiastes 1:6)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Gravitational field (Job 26:7)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Human body is made up of elements of the earth (Genesis 2:7)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Oceanic currents (Jonah 2:3)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Oceanic mountains are discovered 3,000 years before there was sonar or ocean mapping (Jonah 2:6)

[/ QUOTE ]

The author also makes some other claims that are... questionable:

[ QUOTE ]
The creation account of the universe is no longer considered preposterous in the scientific community as it was not that many years back.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You might have heard that the Bible is full of scientific errors, but contrary to what you have heard, no real mistake has ever been demonstrated in the Bible, in science, in history, or in any other subject

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
While the Bible is not a scientific textbook, it can be stated clearly that when the Bible does speak directly about matters of science, it speaks correctly

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Many principles of modern science were talked about in the Bible before they were discovered experimentally. Think about this: before we discovered certain things to be true, the Bible already recorded them as true

[/ QUOTE ]

(EDIT -- I forgot this very important one

[ QUOTE ]
Back in the Book of Genesis, 1:24, the Bible says that living creatures -- listen carefully -- will reproduce after their own kind, and only after their own kind. Of course, for the last 200 years, scientists with an evolutionary bent have been desperately trying to show evidence for any kind of reproduction that would indicate a gradual evolution from one lower kind of living thing to a higher form of living thing -- change within the species.

The whole concept of evolution depends on showing this kind of phenomenon. But listen to what paleontologist, Stephen J. Gould, recently wrote: "Species exhibit no directional change during their tenure on earth. They appear in the fossil record looking much the same as when they finally disappear." And he’s an agnostic scientist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that we know what the author the question was getting at, we can know how to address this question. I really like one thing the author wrote, and would ask him the same question:

[ QUOTE ]
How responsible is it to hold a position but never having done your homework?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-19-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But listen to what paleontologist, Stephen J. Gould, recently wrote: "Species exhibit no directional change during their tenure on earth. They appear in the fossil record looking much the same as when they finally disappear." And he’s an agnostic scientist.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is off topic... but... I had to mention this. While trying to find the context of Gould's quote, I came across the following sermons from 3 different people:

http://www.redlandbaptist.org/sermon...on20050925.htm
http://www.cityviewlubbock.org/sermon031404.html
http://www.sermoncentral.com/sermon....ributorID=5911

(Look at the Gould quote, and surrounding content in those sermons.)

I guess pastors (and religious bloggers) don't need to give credit to the person who actually came up with the content of their sermons. I'm still looking for the context of the Gould quote if anyone has any info on that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 07:32 PM

Seems that the archeological evidence of the existence of contiguous cultures on every continent of the planet before, during and after the supposed great flood "disputes" this, but that may not be scientifical enough for some (the DEVIL planted that 3 thousand year old society to trick us!).
Old 12-19-2005, 08:11 PM

Where in the bible does it explain how dinosaurs ruled the earth millions of years before man. what about the fact that the first humans resembled apes more than God.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:32 PM

I agree. Mainly because I believe the bible to be a narrative work not a factual or scientific work. At best, I think the important "facts" in the bible are ethical or metaphysical ones and I dont think science has disproved any of these (nor would it try).

I cant understand people treating the bible as a literal book. Creationism is silly whether it's called that or intelligent design.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Mainly because I believe the bible to be a narrative work not a factual or scientific work. At best, I think the important "facts" in the bible are ethical or metaphysical ones and I dont think science has disproved any of these (nor would it try).

I cant understand people treating the bible as a literal book. Creationism is silly whether it's called that or intelligent design.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here.

chez
Old 12-19-2005, 08:39 PM

you've seen God?